|Get jobs on your |
|Location:||Cape Town, Tokai|
Job descriptionFuel Online has an exciting opportunity for a Database Administrator.
The job holder is responsible for ensuring that Business requirements relating to database management are met, as well as client and business requirements are documented into meaningful technical and functional requirements. In addition, the job holder will be responsible for designing robust business processes on the back of any requirements.
The Database Administrator role is to design, support, monitor, maintain, and performance tune production databases while ensuring high levels of data availability.
This individual is also responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability and recoverability of databases and their accompanying software.
Strategy and Planning
- Assess and develop long-term strategic goals for production databases in conjunction with data owners and department managers.
- Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Assist with the development of a Database cloud solution.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Install and configure relevant network components to ensure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
- Respond to and resolve database access and performance issues.
- Assist developers with SQL optimisation.
- Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for database systems.
- Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to business user needs.
- Perform database transaction and security audits.
- Establish appropriate end-user database access control levels and review reports.
- Develop routines for end users to facilitate best practices database use.
- Ensure maintenance plans are in place i.e. reorg of databases, index adviser, run stats, backups
- Responsible to identify and manage risks within your environment.
- Perform back-up and recovery.
- SQL and Database Management
* Perform ad-hoc SQL database scripts and reports to support the business
* Create GitHub Wiki of all DBA Activities and Scripts
* Recurring Activities (Check on Health, i.e. Indexes, sizes, etc.)
- Document functional requirements relating to recommended solutions. Gather business requirements from users and subject matter experts
* Testing of functionality and documentation
- Business Support and query escalations
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet deadlines/milestones
- Experience of using project tools
- Ability to manage Business/Stakeholder expectations.
If you have not heard from us by 30 May 2019, please consider your application to be unsuccessful.
RequirementsExperience and Qualifications:
- Degree or Diploma with six to eight years' related experience.
- SQL MCSA or above
- University degree in the field of computer science and/or six years’ equivalent work experience.
- Database Administration certification advantageous.
- Experience in the IT industry and working with IT Teams. Specifically, in the sphere of Software Development and Databases
- Work experience in SQL optimization.
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Working technical experience with database design, maintain and support, including SQL code optimisation.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, and security issues.
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention
- Good knowledge and implementation skills of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Working overtime might be required in busy periods.
- IT Data Analysis
- Database Knowledge
- Database Security
- Project Coordination
- Risk Management
Posted on 10 May 07:22