|Get jobs on your |
Production Course - Lecturer/Researcher
|Location:||Johannesburg, Auckland Park|
Reporting to: Head of Production Course
Employment Type: Fixed Term
Salary: Based on experience
Location: Afda Johannesburg Campus
Industry: Private Higher Education
Start date: 27 January 2020
Afda (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation and Technology. Afda is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world's major film and television schools. The Afda values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
Afda is inviting applications for the position of Production Course Lecturer/Researcher.
As the Production Course Lecturer/Researcher, Afda is looking for a committed and dedicated professional academic and administrator with creative arts experience to lecture and provide support to undergraduate students in their Production Course modules.
The position requires someone with drive, good communication skills, exceptionally high work ethic, initiative, strong academic skills and outstanding administrative skills who is able to motivate and guide students into the world of theory and application across all the Discipline schools within the undergraduate class. The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace Afda’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at Afda. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions. In this way we hope to be able to contribute to nation building and build the foundations for a sustainable local creative entertainment industry.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lecturing 1st, 2nd and 3rd year BA Motion Picture Medium and BA Live Performance degree students on Production Course modules: Narrative, Performance, Medium, Aesthetics & Control
- Administration of group feedback sessions: Concept Pitches, Final Pre-Production Presentations, & Final Review
- Assessment of written and practical work across the undergraduate school
- Management of the online learning and communications platform - my.afda - for Production Course
- Conducting student consultations and reflective meetings
- Preparing content and lesson plans for each term
- Providing administrative support to the Head of the Production Course department
- Creating and managing attendance registers, class management and tutorial administration
- Sourcing of external examiners and ad hoc lecturers
- Timetable planning
- Exam scheduling
- Research and development/enhancement of the curriculum
- Participate in Quality Assurance and Quality Enhancement practices
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (Honours) with Production Design as discipline or skill.
- Experience in the film and entertainment industry
- Experience in tertiary education.
- Industry and/or knowledge of the Film/Television and/or Performance industries
- Exceptionally strong administrative skills
- Computer literate
- Highly developed organisational skills
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence
- Culturally aware and sensitive
- Willingness to support student development
Closing date: 21 January 2020.
Applications must be submitted by email to by the closing date. Applicants wishing to apply for this position are required to submit:
- A letter of application and motivation, concisely detailing his/her suitability for the position.
- A comprehensive and up to date curriculum vitae.
Posted on 15 Jan 11:51