|Get jobs on your |
Head of School
|Location:||Johannesburg, Auckland Park|
Afda (The School of the Creative Economy) is the leading school of its kind in South Africa, offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Motion Picture Medium, Live Performance, Business Innovation and Technology.
Afda is a full member of CILECT, the association of the world's major film and television schools.
Applications are invited for the position of:
Head of School - BIT (Business, Innovation, and Technology)
As the Head of School for BIT in Jhb, AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated professional individual to lead, represent and manage all aspects of the BIT Department on the Johannesburg campus, including academic, administrative, and financial, facilitating excellent educational delivery and growth.
- Overall effective management and running of the programme.
- Ensuring the curriculum and accompanying assessment is delivered appropriately to students enrolled and participating in the Jhb BIT degree/s.
- Overseeing the quality and standard of delivery of the degree.
- Liaising with the other Heads of Schools and participating in campus management.
- Oversee general programme administration and operations functions through liaising with Registrar and Student Affairs, Student Academic Mentorship Officers, Research Centre staff and Finance Department.
- Liaising with the Marketing to assist with student recruitment, interviews, RPL assessment and Open Days.
- Monthly, quarterly and annual budget and resource management.
- Report to campus dean
- Weekly meetings and planning sessions with campus dean and with department.
- Representing the course on the campus Senate including quarterly reporting.
- Management, training, motivation and development of lecturers (guest and staff) for the course.
- Meetings and ongoing communication with key departments such as Learning, Operations, Registrar and Marketing to ensure effective running of the school.
- Lecturing and delivery of curriculum
- Be available for students on fixed consultation times
- Stimulate staff and student research.
- Establish and develop academic development programme for students at risk. Deliver statistical report on student participation and success in academic development.
- Oversee assessment, allocate assessors and assess. Ensure accuracy of marks. Collate marks. Ensure deadlines for students are aligned to term cycles of production with other courses’ students, assessments for individual and group marks, tutorials and other.
- Liaise with librarian on optimising, maintaining and developing research resources.
- Liaison with Academic Standards Council.
- Plan monthly and quarterly budget spend (e.g. for part-time lecturers) and adhere to company financial procedure. Submit annual budgets timeously and maintain on a quarterly basis.
- Represent the course on AFDA Festivals, Assemblies, Open Days, Awards and Graduation Ceremonies.
- Administration of the School (with assistance)
- Overseeing the following functions: class control; course venues, facilities, and resources; publication of course documentation via relevant channels; maintenance of course content; student records (where relevant and in conjunction with Registry);
- Assist in lecturer and student enquiries on course content and academic support.
- Implement discipline for student delivery and participation in Course
- MBA, or Masters Degree in Commerce.
- Strong leadership ability.
- Passion for education, technology and entrepreneurship, and for the arts, particularly in Film, Television and Live Performance.
- Goal-driven and motivated.
- Proactive management style; ability to delegate successfully and effectively.
- Committed to excellence in education.
- Experience in academic management and lecturing on degree level (preferred).
- Business/entrepreneurial experience.
- A strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programmes.
- Strong writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Willingness to adopt the AFDA Pedagogy.
- Passion for and knowledge of new technologies for entrepreneurial and commercial applications
- Strong professional presentation skills
- Administrative skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability to change and new challenges
- Team working.
- Excellent time and deadline management.
- A positive attitude.
- Good computer skills, especially MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail
- (Preferred) Previously disadvantaged demographic
- A CV (no certificates)
- Email and telephone contact details
- Three references
Type: Full-time fixed-term contract
Campus location: Auckland Park, Johannesburg
Start date: January 2019
Salary: Negotiable on experience and qualification.
Posted on 03 Dec 15:29