|Get jobs on your |
Afda (The South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance) is the leading film school in South Africa, and a full member of CILECT, the association of the world's major film and television schools. The Afda values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
Applications are invited for the position of:
As the discipline lecturer for cinematography, AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated professional to lecture and provide support to undergraduate students. The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate students and guide them into the world of Cinematography. The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at Afda. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice for their productions. In this way, we hope to be able to contribute to nation building and build the foundations for a sustainable local film industry.
Key Areas of Competency:
- Delivering lectures based on Canon 5D and the Arri Alexa
- Competency in film and lighting gear
- Knowledge of lighting and film theory
- Proficient in data management and colour grading
- Marking of treatments, final review and assignment hand-ins
- Availability to respond to students questions and one on one meetings (to be arranged by lecturer)
- Competency in single-cam and multi-cam TV productions
- Proficient in Broadcast-Pix Studio System and TV Studio Lighting
- Competent on JVC Studio Camera, PANASONIC P1 and P2.
- Knowledge of professional sound recording and mixing
- Conducting student consultations and reflective meetings
- Preparing content and lesson plans for each term
- Assessment registration for the term’s assessments
- Working with counterparts to ensure parity across all campuses on term outcomes
- Attendance registers and class management administration
- At least five years’ experience in the film and entertainment industry. Practical competency in post-production will be an advantage.
- Minimum qualification: a relevant Honours degree in Film and/or Media Studies with specialisation in cinematography. Competency in data management and grading will be an advantage.
- Computer literacy
- Highly developed organisational skills
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
- Culturally aware and sensitive.
- A CV (no certificates)
- Email and telephone contact details
- Three references
Type: Full-time fixed-term contract
Campus location: 2a Highdale Road, Glen Anil, Durban
Start date: 14 January 2019
Salary: Negotiable on experience and qualification.
Applications Close: 7 December 2018
Posted on 21 Nov 14:14
Get job alerts for Lecturer jobs
- Production Course Lecturer/Researcher, Durban, AFDA
- Head of Production Course/Lecturer/Content Developer, Durban, AFDA
- Junior Film Sound Design Lecturer, Durban, AFDA
- Lecturer - TV Post Production, Durban, AFDA