|Get jobs on your |
Lecturer - Film Scriptwriting
|Location:||Cape Town, Observatory|
Afda Cape Town
Afda (The South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance) is the leading film school in SA, and a full member of CILECT, the association of the world's major film and television schools. The Afda values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
Applications are invited for the position of:
Film scriptwriting lecturer.
As the discipline lecturer for film scriptwriting, Afda is looking for a committed and dedicated industry professional to lecture, assess and provide support to undergraduate students. The job requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate students and guide them into the world of creative fiction for the big screen. The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace Afda's unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching and so the need to help the students identify and develop their own distinctive voice. In this way, we hope to be able to contribute to nation building and a sustainable African film industry.
The teaching will comprise of:
- The basics of narrative development and story structure, including both the Three Act Structure, Major Turning Points theory and the AFDA Engagement/Explosive Theme Bundling process.
- Character development and emotional engagement.
- Effective dialogue writing.
- Lecturing undergraduate film students at BA degree level;
- Script reviews for productions and writing workshops
- Assessment panel participation for narrative component on student projects
- Conducting student consultations and reflective meetings
- Preparing content and lesson plans for each term
- Assessment registration for the term’s assessments
- Attendance registers and class management administration
- Timetable planning
- At least five years’ experience in the film and entertainment industry in scriptwriting and/or script editing
- A Masters in writing, film and/or media studies with specialisation in scriptwriting.
- Three to five years in tertiary education.
- Computer literacy
- Highly developed organisational skills
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
- Culturally aware and sensitive.
- A CV (no certificates at this point)
- Email and telephone contact details
- Three references
Type: Full-time fixed-term contract or retainer position
Campus location: Observatory, Cape Town
Start date: January 2019
Salary: Negotiable on experience and appropriate qualification.
Posted on 21 Nov 12:11
Get job alerts for Lecturer jobs
- Part-Time Marketing Lecturer, Cape Town, Salt River, Red & Yellow
- Lecturer - Graphic Design, Cape Town, Salt River, Red & Yellow
- Lecturer - Art Direction, Cape Town, Salt River, Red & Yellow
- Lecturer - Visual Studies, Cape Town, Salt River, Red & Yellow
- Television Lecturer, Cape Town, Observatory, AFDA
- Senior Drama Lecturer, Cape Town, Observatory, AFDA
- Lecturer - Screen/Stage Acting, Cape Town, Observatory, AFDA
- Lecturer - Producing, Cape Town, Observatory, AFDA
- Cinematography Lecturer, Cape Town, Observatory, AFDA
- Digital Media Communications Lead, Cape Town, Ivy Farrell Recruitment