Digital News Editor
|Location:||Johannesburg, Industria West|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
Job descriptionMain responsibilities:
- Quickly identify, assign and publish news stories.
- Work closely with content producers and journalists to develop stories.
- Drive best digital and social media practices to create engaging content.
- Monitor audience metrics and adapt content to increase users and maximize engagement.
- Edit and rewrite reporters’ copy and also produce/write digital stories.
- Gather news by monitoring the wires and other media to ensure that topical stories are being picked up on.
- Generate story ideas.
- Check accuracy of articles by reporters and content administrators.
- Attend general news meetings and update news diary daily.
- Coordinate news flow by ensuring relevant stories discussed during the morning meeting are covered and uploaded according to deadlines.
- Ensure that news articles from the print and digital departments are shared effectively on social media.
- Line edit stories in order to identify problems such as libel or inaccuracy and to ensure complete fairness.
- Liaise with photographic department to ensure visual elements of stories.
- Liaise with fellow editors, reporters, production desk, bureaus and senior editors.
- Mentor and train content administrators and interns in order to produce outstanding copy.
- Assist in hiring staff.
- Drive the social media strategy.
- An appropriate bachelor’s or higher degree in Journalism or appropriate work experience.
- Minimum eight years’ experience in mainstream journalism, with a proven track record in hard news gathering and digital newsroom experience.
- Suitable experience managing a news desk / team of reporters
- Good talent for writing and copy tasting abilities
- Advanced awareness of the media law and current trends
- Good news gathering skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good computer skills
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- News awareness
- Deadline driven
- Team player
- Matric/Grade 12 qualification or SAQA accredited equivalent essential
- Valid driver’s licence a must
- Own vehicle a must
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Solid references
- No criminal record
Posted on 18 Feb 11:13
Apply by firstname.lastname@example.org
Or apply with your Biz CV
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.
See also: Digital Designer, Digital Account Manager, Digital Copywriter, Editor, Digital Media Strategist, Graphic/Digital Designer, Head of Digital, Video Editor