|Get jobs on your |
Director - Research Services
|Location:||Cape Town, Stellenbosch|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
Library and Information Service
Director: Research Services
Stellenbosch University Library
Stellenbosch University’s Library & Information Service consists of the Stellenbosch University Library (the central library) and five branch libraries, as well as a few departmental collections. Library & Information Service strives to be a dynamic leader in the academic library environment, both nationally and internationally. In order to achieve this, it is imperative for Library & Information Service to render a wide spectrum of client-centred services, to have skilled and motivated staff as well as world-class technological facilities and relevant resources at its disposal, to develop excellent collections in all available formats that meet the needs of the University, and to increase its visibility by making clients aware of available services for the improved utilisation of these.
- Assuming overall responsibility for leading, managing and developing three research services sections (Research Impact, Research Commons and Special Collections) as well as Marketing and Quality Management at the Library and Information Service;
- The effective management of the Library and Information Service’s strategies relating to research support services, marketing and quality assurance;
- As a member of senior management, strategic planning and development for the Library and Information Service in general and for the responsibility areas specifically, in line with the objectives of the University and those of the Library and Information Service;
- Managing and coordinating quality assurance activities;
- Developing, managing and implementing effective marketing and communication strategies;
- Effectively managing strategies that will inform, shape and grow the library’s research impact services initiatives;
- Communicating and liaising with relevant role-players on campus and elsewhere;
- General management functions relating to responsibility areas, such as human resources management and project management.
- An advanced relevant postgraduate qualification in Library and Information Science (or equivalent – minimum NQF level 8);
- A minimum of eight years’ experience at middle-management level, preferably in an information services or research support division of an academic library;
- Advanced knowledge of the needs of the academic community with regard to information services, research support and other client services;
- Demonstrated ability to provide dynamic leadership in terms of continuous value-adding to the changing client needs of the academic community;
- High-level computer proficiency with regard to general and library applications;
- Strategic planning skills;
- Sound experience of human resources management;
- Ability to function at senior management level;
- Ability to work effectively in a team context;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Project management skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability and willingness to function effectively in a multilingual environment.
- Exposure to and knowledge of new trends in library and information services world-wide;
- Knowledge and understanding of trends within the Higher Education sector in South Africa;
- Experience in successfully implementing and managing projects within an organisation.
Closing date: 2 December 2019
Enquiries regarding this position: Ms. E.R. Tise on 021 808 4880, or at
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Service Centre on 021 808 2753
The University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as Stellenbosch University’s institutional EE Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Posted on 08 Nov 09:27
Get job alerts for Director jobs
- Director - PBO, Cape Town, Ayanda Mbanga - Redefining Success
- Account Director, Cape Town, Woodstock, Ogilvy Cape Town
- Operations Director - Weddings/Events, Cape Town
- Graphic Designer/Art Director, Cape Town
- Graphic Designer/Art Director, Cape Town
- Director, Stellenbosch, Ayanda Mbanga - Redefining Success
- Business Director, Cape Town
- Digital Art Director/Senior Digital Designer, Cape Town, Rondebosch