- The Hawthorne Effect and the future leadership attributes required
- Unemployment rises to 32.5%
- D&AD Shift partners with Google to help secure jobs for diverse creative talent
|Remuneration:||negotiable Market related|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
Job descriptionSouthern Guild, the premier gallery for collectible design in Africa, is seeking a dynamic person with excellent organisational skills to work in the communications department. Reporting to the director of communications, the communications coordinator’s chief responsibilities include scheduling and implementing a wide variety of digital and print projects, assisting with media outreach and digital content creation.
We are seeking someone who appreciates that producing excellent communications requires a great deal of behind-the-scenes organization and quality control. You will need to be meticulous and on the ball, comfortable working in a team and taking instruction from others.
The ideal candidate will be a digital native with +/- four years of experience working in media, marketing, PR or communications. While relevant qualifications in PR/communications/marketing are a plus, we are more interested in the real skills and can-do outlook you bring to the role. Digital / social media experience is a must-have, and InDesign or Photoshop skills are a bonus.
You may be passionate about local art and design, or new to South Africa’s dynamic design landscape – but you must be excited at the prospect of helping to tell the rich stories behind our artists’ work.
- Ensuring that the Southern Guild website is up to date and accurate at all times.
- Creating and uploading new content, artworks and exhibitions to the website.
- Coming up with great ideas for digital content across all platforms.
- Uploading content to all our social media channels – Instagram, Facebook, Vimeo, YouTube.
- Setting up newsletters and mailers and sending out after sign-off.
- Assisting with the creation of catalogues, proposals and presentations where necessary – this may entail resizing images, researching artist bios and compiling info. Degree of graphic design skills, compile visually laid out reports
- Although not the focus, some writing will be entailed for the Journal section of our website, mailers, invitations, and social media.
Media outreach and liaison
- Responding to media requests and facilitating interviews in a timely manner
- Compiling press packs on Dropbox
- Tracking media coverage and in-progress media requests
- Archiving all media coverage
Admin and events
- Overseeing deadlines for the promotion of multiple simultaneous projects – including exhibitions, fairs, sponsor activations and events
- Scheduling, briefing and overseeing photo shoots
- Filing all artist and gallery info with scrupulous accuracy
- Updating client, VIP and media databases
- Responding to and tracking RSVPs for events, openings, artist walkabouts etc
- Work at openings and events in the gallery
Company DescriptionSouthern Guild commissions, produces and exhibits contemporary collectible design by the most compelling talents in South Africa. The gallery has pioneered the collectible design category on the continent, propelling its artists and designers to make original work that is distinctly African and globally relevant. Founded in 2008 by Trevyn and Julian McGowan, Southern Guild’s rigorous curatorial programme has shaped the world’s perceptions of African design and forged a unique vernacular in the international arena. Located in Cape Town’s newly revitalised Silo District, adjacent to the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa, the gallery showcases limited-edition and one-off pieces that have garnered multiple awards and caught the attention of the world’s leading collectors, auction houses, museums and institutions.
- +/- Four years experience in media/marketing/PR
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure according to tight deadlines
- In-depth knowledge of the media landscape - local & international, lifestyle / design / decor
- Some experience with Wordpress backend or other content management platforms
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint and Keynote is essential
- Social media experience is a must-have - Instagram in particular
- Copywriting, editing and proofreading skills
- Visual literacy - an eye for design and layout (InDesign and Photoshop skills a plus)
- Meticulous eye for detail
Posted on 22 Feb 17:07
Apply by emailKelly Berman
Or apply with your Biz CV
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.
Get job alerts for Communications jobs
Department: Marketing A once in a lifetime opportunity has become available to join South Africa’s much-loved retail brand PEP, known...
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends.
Big 5 Search
20 Jan 2021
Cape Town, Foreshore
A GMP Tech Advisor is responsible for advising our international clients on the Google ad technology platforms that DQ&A resells to them (Campaign Manager, Search...