News/Sports/Lifestyle/Fashion and Beauty Writers/Weekend Writers
|Remuneration:||R8000 - R15000 per month basic salary |
|Benefits:||Attractive Monthly Incentive|
|Company:||The South African|
Job descriptionNews Writers -
Our success is directly attributed to our people and the quality of our team. Finding people who we can trust to deliver to our high standards is something we strive for.
We are currently looking for hard-breaking news, sports, lifestyle/entertainment/beauty/fashion writers and weekend writers (across)
for our growing publication (Permanent/Contract/Freelance opportunities). Key purpose of the roles:
To look for main newsfeed/headline stories and produce 7 to 10 news articles per day. Job description/key outputs:
- Quickly identify, produce, and publish main news stories (7-10 per day)
- Cover major events where necessary and possible
- Be comfortable reporting on most major SA news
- Lifestyle writers will be expected to produce entertainment/celebrity/showbiz content
- Work closely with your line manager to develop story ideas
- Produce seven to ten stories per day, or more when necessary
- Generate story ideas
- Help aggregate stories to give it a fresh feel and read
- Be proficient on major social media platforms
- Understand keyword targeting and search engine optimization (SEO)
- Live blog and live tweet on developing stories or on events when required
- Maintain relations with all news leads or sources on a daily basis to develop story ideas
- Weekend Writers would work weekends covering all news
- A degree or similar qualification in journalism and/or communications
- Two plus years Online publishing experience, with reputable news, academic or industry publisher will be advantageous
- Three to five years' experience covering a variety of subject matter (i.e. main news stories, sports, culture, lifestyle including entertainment/showbiz/celebrity journalism)
- Excellent writing skills
- Able to work independently and be an excellent communicator
- Passionate about news and the publishing industry
- Solid knowledge of working on social media platforms
- Insight into search engine optimisation
- Must have a clear grasp of the South African context, cultural nuances etc.
- In-depth knowledge of news and current affairs
- In the case of lifestyle writers, an extensive contact base in the TV, music, arts and entertainment industries will be advantageous.
- Proficient in content management systems, analytics tools an advantage
- Knowledge of WordPress an advantage
Training and mentoring is a key focus area for The South African, and all new employees will be required to participate in our induction process, which will cover topics such as SEO, WordPress, Google Analytics etc. Training is provided where necessary.
We own other international titles that are managed from South Africa. If you are interested in writing / blogging in a freelance capacity for an Australian title please send us your CV.
Posted on 24 Jun 15:48, Closing date 23 Aug