|Location:||Johannesburg, Ferndale Randburg|
|Remote work:||Not Applicable|
|Type:|| 1 year|
Applications are invited for the above-indicated vacancy within Newzroom Afrika. The incumbent will report to the Archive Manager.
Job PurposeNews Archivist
will be part of the Newzroom Afrika archives team, which is responsible for the ensuring that the news gathering process is supported by an effective, searchable, and accurate archive. The archives team will be responsible for preserving audio-visual content for future use cataloguing and managing footage collected and filmed by Newzroom Afrika. The team will also be responsible for digitizing any footage procured by the channel in a variety of formatsKey Responsibilities
- Cataloguing and classification of audio-visual material
- Provide customer service to all users and archive licensees and advise them on how to use and interpret archives
- Maintain user-friendly, computer-aided search systems
- Arrange the acquisition and retrieval of archive records
- Organise information by studying, interpreting, and classifying audio-visual data
- Prepare reports by collecting, analysing, and summarizing information
- Conferring with analysts, IT department and programmers to code and retrieve data.
- Working closely with IT department to assess systems failure and patterns affecting daily production
- Ensure that all content requests reach the client on time
- Selecting material worth archiving according to the channel’s archive selection policy and procedures
- Regular update of the Tape Library software and manual shelving of backup tapes.
- Liaise with all departments to ensure the gathering, recording and archiving of valuable content
- Management of story forms/ Logbooks
- Correct recording of rights and restrictions which may apply to content
- Keeping a close eye on all feeds coming from OB vans, Newswires, etc
- Making sure that new back-up tapes are ordered on time before they run
- Minimum three years’ experience in information management with a focus on video archiving
- Degree in library and Information Science or Archives and Records Management Diploma.
- Intricate knowledge of television archiving processes
- Knowledge of newsroom and archiving production systems and workflows
- Team player with a passion for news and current affairs
- Strong administrative skills
Posted on 15 Aug 13:21, Closing date 14 Oct