News Reporter - Kwazulu Natal/Eastern Cape
|Location:||Johannesburg, Ferndale Randburg|
|Remote work:||Not Applicable|
|Type:|| 1 year|
The news reporter is a key member of the Input Desk, which is responsible for ensuring that the news gathering process is conducted in a timely, accurate and engaging manner. Under the leadership of the Assignments team, you will shape and create news stories that set Newzroom Afrika apart from other broadcasters in South Africa and beyond.Key responsibilities:
Skills and competencies
- Monitor news feeds, including searching social media and engaging with reporters, to gather and evaluate relevant news and information
- Write accurate scripts which adhere to the channel’s editorial policy and style guide
- Curate submissions from citizen journalists
- Writing scripts for on-air talent, cutting visuals using a newsroom production system, finding guests, commissioning and writing graphics and other related tasks as required
- Develop innovative ideas for writing news. Stay updated with the latest news and events.
- Research stories and prepare interview questions as required.
- Seek out and set up interviews with people who have information on each story.
- Discuss and develop ideas to write strong and sophisticated stories to attract citizens/viewers.
- Research, write and submit stories within established timelines.
- Conduct in-studio interviews with newsmakers.
- Go out on stories, media briefings etc. and conduct live crossings.
- Write breaking news and stories in unique and interesting ways to increase viewership.
- Write real and accurate stories so as to avoid any defamation cases.
- Analyse the information gathered to determine which facts are pertinent to the story.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with news contacts.
- Work with editors, graphic artists, and social media team to find interesting ways to tell stories.
- Make sure all parcels and packages have been sub-edited before editing.
- Make sure all stories have been through quality control before going on air.
- Advise research team and programmes on guests that should be booked relating to stories.
- Be aware of legal issues relating to sensitive news stories and have a firm understanding of the BCCSA Code of Conduct and the Press Code
- Ensure Newzroom Afrika’s editorial guidelines, style guide and company policies are adhered to.
- Come up with own stories and exclusive content
- Work with the Output Editor, News Editor and Input team to ensure live crossings, story deadlines and other key information is effectively communicated to all team members
- Ensure that forward planning is done timeously and maintain an events calendar
- Ensure diary contains balance of events and unique stories to set Newzroom Afrika apart from competitors
- Ensure deployment for breaking news stories is done efficiently
- Secure regular exclusive interviews with heavyweights across a variety of programmes on Newzroom Afrika
- Check reporter scripts for language, content and accuracy
- Be prepared to work long hours and weekends
- Minimum three years reporting experience with an emphasis on television news
- Journalism or other relevant qualification
- Ability to identify strong unique stories
- Strong sense of ethics and understanding of editorial independence
- Good grasp of English and other South African official languages
- Must be prepared to work shift hours, including early morning and late evening
- Team player with a passion for news and current affairs
- Strong contacts base in various sectors
- Knowledge of newsroom production systems and workflows
- Excellent knowledge of South African and global issues
- Understanding of the Broadcasting Complaints Commission’s code of conduct
- Good understanding of legal and ethical issues with regards to television
- Viewer centric
Posted on 30 Jun 12:44, Closing date 29 Aug