- Making a hospital space feel psychologically safer helped South African health workers
- Evolution of workforce skills demand - what the future holds
- 5 key trends shaping the post-pandemic workplace
|Job level:||Management Snr|
|Company:||Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entreprene|
Job descriptionRequest for proposals: Facilitation and preparation of the 2022-2027 Strategic Plan for the Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship
The Bertha Centre is a globally ranked centre of excellence dedicated to advancing social innovation and entrepreneurship towards social justice. The Bertha Centre is located in Cape Town, South Africa and seeks to build partnerships for social innovation and social justice across the region and throughout the African continent. The Bertha Centre also seeks to engage with policymakers and stakeholders in order to influence public discourse and strengthen the case for social change.
The consultant(s) appointed to prepare the 2022-2027 strategic plan will work with the director, assisted by the senior manager. The process will be coordinated and guided by the strategic plan working group comprised of staff and steering committee members. The working group envisions an engaged approach that is deeply involved in gathering, processing and summarising the information generated through various participation processes. The strategic planning process will be conducted in a manner that listens intently to the stakeholders and communities with which the Bertha Centre works to create space for social innovation.
The total duration of the contract will be for a period of four months beginning 18 January 2021 through 31 May 2021. This assignment will be entirely remote.
Proposal submission requirements
Proposal must be received via email by 8 January 2021 at 5pm SAST. Proposals received after this deadline will not be given primary consideration. A transmittal letter and proposal should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as an Adobe PDF. Other formats will not be accepted. Proposals will be accepted from both firms and individual consultants. Consultants selected for further consideration must be available for a telephone interview on 18 January 2021.
The proposal itself should be no more than 10 pages and should address the complete scope of work and deliverables. Proposals should include the following sections:
a) Organisation/consultant background
State the name of the organisation and/or consultants. If an organisation, describe the general nature of its work and specifically name the lead consultant who will be conducting the work. Describe the education, skills, and experiences that uniquely qualify the lead consultant and his or her team for this work. Proposals must include three examples of related work completed with contact information for the organisations served.
b) Statement of proposed work
Methodology: The Bertha Centre is looking for consultants who will partner closely with us and engage regularly with staff and the Strategic Planning Working Group throughout the strategic plan process. Describe in succinct terms the methodologies proposed to complete the strategic planning process including:
- The approach to partnership and team-building. How would you and/or your organisation build and maintain an engaged relationship with the key stakeholders in the
- strategic planning process?
- Ways to ensure cross-fertilisation of ideas and feedback loops between the various stakeholders, which include both South African and international programme constituencies and staff, donors and governance groups;
- Innovative ideas for ongoing communications strategy that engages various constituencies and clarifies when and how people can participate;
- Ideas or examples of how to present and promote the finalised plan.
c) Budget and deliverables
Provide a detailed budget as well as a description of the specific deliverables that will be submitted, the time line (with dates for completion of individual planning stages), and expected schedule of compensation. Deliverables are expected to include:
- Lead and facilitate an initial meeting with Bertha Centre Team members to map out strategic planning process
- Finalisation of the work plan with the Strategic Plan Work Group, including a schedule and question framework for consultation process with various constituencies and stakeholders;
- Redraft of the Centre values, based on commitment to anti-racism, to social justice and social innovation - for circulation to staff, governance, and external partners;
- Draft frames, directions and strategies for key issue areas, informed by analysis of field, constituency engagement process and discernment of staff and governance – for circulation to staff, governance, and external partners;
- A Strategic Plan with five to six high level goals, at least one of the them an internal organisational development goal, in both document form and in simpler, more colourful format [brochure, PDF...] for public outreach;
- An accompanying analysis in memo format of implementation issues raised.
Suggestions for models or best practices related to organisational management, governance, and monitoring of strategic planning. Include any other information deemed important, but not specifically required elsewhere.
Company DescriptionBackground and Purpose:
At the start of the third decade of the 21st century, the African continent remains beset by complex socio-economic challenges. The need for inclusive and sustainable economic growth and a corresponding drive towards development require a radical shift. Innovations and social entrepreneurship in education, health and finance hold the potential to reset the development trajectory of the continent. With investment in impact based solutions towards social justice, social innovation offers a platform for the development of skills, technology and infrastructure needed to reach the goals articulated by compacts such as the African Union’s Agenda 2063 and, the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and harness the continent’s potential.
Located at the Graduate School of Business at the University of Cape Town, the Bertha Centre leverages its position to influence the narrative of social impact at a leading institution on the continent. Established in 2011 as an interdisciplinary social innovation hub, through the development of new curricula, training and research, the Bertha Centre has been able to foster conversations on innovation and impact for social change from its position in knowledge institution. The Bertha Centre, funded by the Bertha Foundation, has developed programmes in Education, Health, Systems Justice, Finance and Youth Development creating a space for experimentation and pursuit of radical partnerships to unlock resources. The work of the Bertha Centre is built using a systems lens with the aim of investing in the next generation of leaders through the Bertha Scholars programme and creating opportunities for lasting social justice that addresses systemic inequities.
The Bertha Centre pursues its activities with a curiosity about the future and with a humble urgency. The Bertha Centre recognises that by working for justice now, it lays the foundation for equitable and just institutions in the future - that serve ideals and visions befitting of the greater imagination offered by the social justice and innovation movement of the present day.
Proposal evaluation criteria
The evaluation of each response will be based on demonstrated competence, compliance, format, and organisation:
- Approach, thoroughness, and completeness of the proposal (30%)
- References and past performance with multi-cultural, multi-national organisations engaged with social justice issues (25%)
- Expertise in participatory processes, including details on key personnel (25%)
- Price (10%)
- Diversity of team (10%)
- Experience with organisations of similar or comparable scale
- Skill at facilitation of inclusive and participatory team processes
- Clarity in writing and presentation of information
- Experience with multi-cultural organisational development, organisational management,
- change management
- Knowledge of qualitative data analysis/participatory research and ability to apply that to both
- internal processes and external research, information collection
- Skill at designing processes for facilitation of focus groups, listening sessions
- Knowledge of latest thinking in social change organising and roles of NGOs, FBOs
- Proven track-record of successfully advising multilateral and/or development organisations on strategic planning, strategy design and development, workshop design and implementation, and organisational development
- Demonstrated experience in conceptualising, organising and facilitating virtual consultations
- Social innovation
- Advocacy organisations
- Programme design, implementation, management
- Peace and social justice issue research
Posted on 03 Dec 07:22
Apply by emailNtombini Marrengane
Or apply with your Biz CV
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.
Get job alerts for Consultant jobs
Overview and background Stronger Together is a business-led, multi-stakeholder collaborative initiative whose purpose is to support organisations to tackle forced...
Cape Town R6000 - R8000 Monthly
A Cape Town-based Workflow Automation company specialising in helping companies to onboard new Vendors more efficiently. We are looking to employ an Intermediate IT...
Cape Town, Table View R7500 - R15000 Monthly
Who we are: Persuade Marketing is a B2B lead generation and sales based consultancy based in Cape Town, we focus on equipping medium to large companies with...
Cape Town R6000 Monthly
We’re a movement that aims to make education more accessible to more people, more often.
Responsible for: Attending to Printroom clients to ensure their satisfaction and return; to sell up to increase turnover at all times Summary of job...
Amazing opportunities to kickstart your career success Who are we, you ask? We are dotsure.co.za, based in beautiful George on the Garden Route.
Who are we, you ask? We are dotsure.co.za, a Direct Insurer with a focus on pet insurance based in beautiful George on the Garden Route.
Cape Town R30000 - R50000 Monthly
Our Mergers & Acquisitions Consultant will search for and identify well-performing companies that align with our core values and practices for acquisitions.
Cape Town, Observatory
Genesis Medical Scheme is seeking to appoint a Clinical Hospital Claims Review Consultant.
Cape Town, Southern Suburbs
Kitchen designer/sales consultant wanted for well established upmarket kitchen company.
Cape Town, Gardens
Purpose The purpose of this role is to empower and enable the business to make good commercial decisions, by offering insights and impactful metrics gleaned from the...
Cape Town, Salt River R80 - R100 Hourly
(Internship potentially leading to a permanent position) Starts immediately E-commerce fulfilment Process orders done through the Fieldbar websiteProcess...
Company: Red Ribbon Communications Position: PR Account Director Industry: Media Relations, Content Strategy, Digital Advertising Employment type:...
Cape Town, Rondebosch R20000 - R36000 Monthly neg
The client/account lead is a skilled and driven individual who takes responsibility for owning and growing key client relationships, as well as managing the strategic...
Cape Town, Johannesburg
You have a keen interest in understanding the critical importance that distribution, brand and category management plays in the industry and are willing to immerse...
Start date: Early January 2021 This is a high earning opportunity and although in the fast renewable energy arena would suit someone who has shown success in...
The successful candidate will be someone with a technical aptitude.