|Get jobs on your |
Deputy Vice-Chancellor/Vice-Rector: Learning/Teaching
Stellenbosch University (SU) is a research-intensive university where we attract outstanding students, employ talented staff and provide a world-class environment; a place connected to the world, while enriching and transforming local, continental and global communities. Stellenbosch University’s strategic positioning for the 21st century is articulated in the Vision 2040 and Strategic Framework 2019-2024 (see: http://www.sun.ac.za/english/about-us/strategic-documents).
Reporting directly to the rector and vice-chancellor, the deputy vice-chancellor and vice-rector: learning and teaching is the academic leader specifically responsible for, inter alia, the management of the learning and teaching functions of the University.
The responsibility centre of the vice-rector: learning and teaching strives to build on academic success and to provide the necessary support to academics and students. Overall, the emphasis is on learning and teaching leadership; education policy development; academic planning and education quality assurance; student affairs; support to student governance structures; and promotion of multilingualism. All the divisions within this responsibility centre work closely with ten faculties to help create a welcoming culture for all students and staff, to ensure all students achieve success, and to enrich the lecture experience of lecturers and students through the use of technology in an innovative way to increase the effectiveness of learning and teaching.
As a member of the executive management team, the deputy vice-chancellor and vice-rector: learning and teaching will support the rector and vice-chancellor to establish, achieve and maintain the University’s vision, mission, values and goals, and to establish synergy between research, teaching and learning, and social impact. Furthermore, the deputy vice-chancellor and vice-rector: learning and teaching will support the rector and vice-chancellor in the implementation of learning and teaching initiatives.
The incumbent will be required to provide intellectual and strategic leadership of the following functional areas, in accordance with Vision 2040 and Strategic Framework 2019-2024: Student Affairs and Learning and Teaching Enhancement.
- Govern and oversee the alignment of SU policies and practices with the relevant national and international best practice and evidence;
- Promote the development of a welcoming and supportive living and learning environment for students;
- Promote curricular and co-curricular developmental opportunities for students to ensure a transformative student experience and the attainment of SU graduate attributes;
- Maintain SU’s momentum of excellence throughout the entire student life cycle;
- Ensure that institutional financial aid resources are geared towards the support of students;
- Ensure that SU’s teaching is learning-centred and attuned to the educational needs of a 21st-century student;
- Ensure the maintenance and development of a professional and academic support staff complement to enhance SU’s learning and teaching;
- Promote the professionalisation of teaching, the scholarly teaching role, and the reward for good teaching.
- Eligibility for an appointment at a professorial level at Stellenbosch University;
- A doctorate;
- Proven capacity to provide dynamic and strategic leadership in the areas of responsibility, including strategic planning and implementing abilities, human resource management, the management of change, risk, budgets and operational plans;
- At least five years’ experience as a senior leader in an academic institution;
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of the South African higher education system, as well as the national and international realities of this sector that increasingly uses online learning;
- Proven ability to develop and sustain strategically relevant institutional partnerships and alliances at national as well as international level;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully direct, coordinate and strategically integrate multiple projects at an institutional level;
- Excellent communication, negotiation and facilitation skills in diverse environments;
- The ability to function effectively within a multilingual and multicultural environment;
- Sound interpersonal relations and the ability to take the lead within a team;
- The ability to contribute to and accelerate the diversity of staff and the student body;
- The ability to represent the University’s interests at local, regional, national and international level, which may include travel.
- International educational and work experience.
Remuneration: Determined by the Remuneration Committee of the University Council.
Commencement of duties: 1 January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 5 June 2020
Enquiries: Ms Kristin Rutgers on 021 808 4906, or at
Completed applications, comprising the documentation as set out below, must be sent via email to before the closing date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Documentation details (please ensure that your application includes all of the documents listed below):
- A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae;
- Your vision for the Responsibility Centre of the deputy vice-chancellor and vice-rector: learning and teaching at SU and your contribution to such a future in the context of the Stellenbosch University's Vision 2040 and Strategic Framework 2019-2024;
- Details regarding present occupation, remuneration package and citizenship;
- An indication of the earliest date on which duties can be assumed;
- Certified copies of certificates;
- Details of at least three referees.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
At the discretion of the Selection Committee, candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments and should, therefore, be willing to oblige.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
The University reserves the right to extend the closing date if deemed appropriate.
Posted on 19 May 09:59