Chief Intelligence Officer
|Own transport required:||Yes|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
|Company:||Primedia Broadcasting Recruiter|
Job descriptionKey purpose of the role
The incumbent is responsible for the overall formulation, execution and monitoring of Primedia Broadcasting’s (PMB) intelligence strategy in direct alignment with the chief revenue officer and in partnership with the executive committee team. The incumbent must collaborate and service the commercial organisation with business intelligence solutions that enable data-driven decision-making in the organisation. This will include internal and external intelligence. Whilst also monitoring the profitability of our product portfolios and solutions across generics, creative solutions, and emerging products and services.
The incumbent is also focused on company growth beyond the existing terrestrial product and or service set which will all improve business operations and continuously monitor to achieve PMB’s long term vision. This involves driving effective trade marketing to agencies, direct clients, public sector clients, etc. This will also entail expert insights that will inform the formulation of business models and partnership negotiations; joint venture explorations to optimize opportunities in other spheres of the business, and extrapolate yield models.
The incumbent shall lead the research and Insights Manager and team; the creative solutions manager and team, business solutions manager, trade marketing, and the business intelligence analyst.Key outputs
Strategic intelligence, reporting, yield and profitability management
Management direct reports
- With the CRO, lead the company’s strategic intelligence initiative across all commercial functions in the business.
- Analyse data, specifically market performance, competitor strategy, revenue/inventory, products, yield management and discounting data, and provide recommendations in terms of commercial activities and company strategy.
- Ensure a tangible link between research and insights capabilities and outputs, and revenue generation by sales.
- Monitor and drive ROI of marketing spend and investment of company resources.
- Compile the company’s quarterly board reports to the HoldCo Board, including drafting for the CEO.
- Ensure deep research, analysis and assessment for the compilation of business cases: sourcing, understanding, analysing, documenting and presenting business cases for new opportunities.
- Compile monthly shareholder update reports.
- Support data-driven decision-making around clients, through client mapping exercises etc using the CRM system.
- With the CFO and CRO, lead the company’s pricing analysis, strategies, and positioning.
- Together with the CFO and business intelligence Analyst, produce financial modelling and market analysis of new opportunities, joint ventures, events, start-ups (zero-based costing, building projections etc) and assessing potential, mostly digital, acquisitions.
- Research new business models, radio/media/advertising innovations, businesses and companies, trends, competitor activity, and compile reports and recommendations for Exco and the Board
- Fulfilling selected project management roles for the deployment of, particularly, growth strategies
- Direct internal resources to improve BI tools and usage
- Play a pivotal leadership role in the Executive Team
- Continuously work with Exco colleagues to develop and mature the company’s culture
Culture of collaboration
- Maintain the research and insights business portfolio as it enables and empowers the business to inform current and future decisions.
- Facilitate close working relationship between research and insights and the commercial and sales teams, driving impactful trade marketing initiatives, to provide content to clients that both positions PMB in the market and assists PMB to achieve its objectives.
- Drive the creative solutions portfolio, ensuring its impact, effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ensure the effectiveness of the PMB media solutions portfolio and keep it updated. Whilst also ensuring that the sales fraternity in Primedia, agencies and direct clients including the strategists and planners are kept updated and trained.
- Partner with critical external stakeholders that will ensure that PMB has access to best-in-class data that will assist maintain our leading position in the marketplace.
Compliance and reporting
- Ensure that the department works across functions with other departments to continuously be kept informed of market and competitor developments through Trade Marketing, Research & Insights, Media Solutions, Creative Solutions and Business Analytics.
- Works transparently with other divisional leaders in PMB.
- Reports on the department’s successes and challenges (and recommended solutions) to Exco (weekly; monthly and quarterly)
Suitable candidates will be selected in accordance with Primedia Broadcasting’s Employment Equity Policy. Correspondence will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Send your detailed CV to az.oc.aidemirp@sreeracgnitsacdaorb
with the Subject Line “CIO”.
The closing date for applications is 26 July 2022.Education
- An undergraduate and preferably an honours degree / equivalent (e.g., BCom/ BBusFin /BBusSci /MBA).
The Investors in People FrameworkLeading
- At least 10 or more years in a management or leadership role.
- Consistent experience in the effective use and application of data in business analysis, commercial decision making and strategic planning, yielding desired outcomes especially in the form of growth.
- Demonstrable and extensive experience in strategic planning process, SWOT, environmental scanning, scenario planning etc.
- Applicable experience in a media owner, media agency and/or corporate strategic and intelligence environments would be advantageous.
- Previous management success: People-management skills – investing in and getting the most out of team members.
- Firm understanding of key financial statement constructs: income statements, balance sheets and cash flow (for analysis of current business, and to build-out financial projection packs for new opportunities) is required.
- Detailed exposure to price/yield management, constructing rate cards, determining annual price increases etc. would be an advantage.
- Proven history of negotiating (successful) commercial deals/JV’s/large procurement contracts is important.
- Involvement in or some exposure to merger and acquisition processes desirable but not essential
- High proficiency in excel required – tables, pivots, charts etc., same too for PowerPoint.
- Exposure to marketing functions in previous roles would be useful.
- Some experience with BI Technologies such as Power BI, Tableau etc. would be useful.
- Commercially inclined with a strong focus on actively managing and improving operational performance of the team through data-led initiates and programmes.
- Well-versed in all facets of the commercial management of the business and have the requisite acumen to develop and execute strategic initiatives across multi-layered stakeholders in the sales arena.
- Strong generalist across execution, people and cognitive skills.
- Characterised by strong analytical and numerical problem-solving skills.
- Agent for change with the ability to be innovative.
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to address a wide range of issues.
- Ability to partner with senior decision makers yet act independently where needed.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Superior leadership and people-management skills.
- Ability to build enduring client relationships in a sales-driven environment.
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- Strong quantitative thinking
- Excellent communication skills – written and presentation, including at Board level
- Solution focused and strong collaborative mindset
- Superior negotiation skills
- Critical thinking – ability to evaluate facts before reaching an outcome
- Leadership skills usually required of all senior executives
- Leading and inspiring people: leads by example and acts as role model while instilling trust in leadership and the organisation. Inspires and motivates people to exceed expectations and commitments. Display servant leadership qualities.
- Living the organisation's values and behaviours: Acts as brand custodian and makes decisions in line with organisational values.
- Empowering and involving people: Accepts responsibility to achieve results through other people. Works collaboratively and allows others to challenge the status quo.
- Managing performance: Sets challenging goals in line with the organisation's vision. Expects others to perform and mentors them to enable high performance.
- Recognising and rewarding high performance: Creates a culture where people feel valued and recognised for their efforts and performance.
- Structuring work: Ensures job design is based on evolving market trends and employee needs. Promotes regular review of policies and processes to ensure work is done collaboratively and according to best practice methods.
- Building capacity: Embeds continuous professional development/learning as part of the organisational culture in order to support the organisation's vision
- Delivering continuous improvement: Identifies and develops strategic solutions in order to improve organisational efficiency
- Creating sustainable success: Encourages and nurtures innovative solutions in order to maintain a competitive edge within the broadcasting industry
Posted on 21 Jul 16:23, Closing date 19 Sep
Or apply with your Biz CV
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.