Local brand marketing solutions company, Mango Moon, recently won a contract to manufacture, pack and deliver four million fridge magnets for a large South African financial services company despite a cheaper Chinese product on offer.
Says Mango Moon's Mike McLennan: "This highly complex order required 21 different English and Afrikaans variants of significantly varying quantities with similar designs. Mango Moon has comfortably been able to deliver to client's exacting requirements.
"Five years of experience in sourcing magnetic material from China stood us in good stead, as we know that there are often hidden costs in buying direct for promotional products. These can include:
- Additional costs: Prices received from China exclude freight costs, import duty, mark-up and project management costs so it may appear much cheaper at first but it is only once all the costs have been added that you can compare apples with apples.
- Payment upfront: Most Chinese companies will not release products until full payment has been effected upfront. This can have cash flow ramifications and risk exposure.
- No guarantee of quality: There is a wide variation in the quality of Chinese product and inferior quality product could result in rejection of the whole order.
- Language difficulties: This can be a major barrier especially when an order requires English and Afrikaans variants of significantly varying quantities with similar designs.
- Lack of hands-on project management and quality control: A large order is difficult to manage locally let alone from afar. We know how important it is to have on-going management on a project of this nature."
McLennan stresses: "Mango Moon's philosophy of 'local is lekker' proves that South African companies can comfortably compete with international companies on large orders in all aspects of product development and production at highly cost-effective prices.
"Every aspect of our business is local except for the raw magnet sheeting material which we import directly from our manufacturer in China. Our in-house creative studio designs products, packaging and brochures. Specialised manufacturing processes of glue bonding, printing, die-cutting, and flow wrapping of finished products to exacting standards are handled by our well-trained staff - all previously disadvantaged women from our area."
To tap into Mango Moon's holistic and extensive marketing, retail, printing and manufacturing solutions contact Mike McLennan on 021 788 5337 / 082 323 4442 or go to www.mangomoon.co.za
and check out what's new.