This road race will take place in and around Stellenbosch and is an official seeding event for the Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay Cycle Tour
. This means that Cape Town cyclists will have another opportunity to flex their spandex-clad muscles, while possibly affecting their Cycle Tour start time.
“This event is just another way in which we align ourselves with our readers' interests,” said Henry Jeffreys, editor of Die Burger
“We already have a vested interest in rugby, cricket and soccer, and cycling is the next logical avenue of support – not forgetting that we have sponsored large scale cycling events in the past.” The Route
Featuring two distances, 44km and 101km, Die Burger Fietstoer
will start and finish at Paul Roos Gymnasium's Markötter Fields in Stellenbosch, and take participants along the picturesque areas surrounding Stellenbosch.
The 101km route is for more serious cyclists and those hoping to improve their starting time at the Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay Cycle Tour
• It will take riders through Stellenbosch and up the scenic Old Helshoogte Pass before descending through Pniel and towards Franschhoek.
• Cyclists will then turn left to pass Victor Verster Prison towards Paarl, while hugging the vineyards alongside the mountains before joining the R301 to Wellington.
• Then it's left onto the R44, the Agter Paarl Road, back under the N1, and over the rolling hills of the R44 back to Stellenbosch, where spectators will cheer riders on as they cross the finish line.
Riders doing the 44km route are also in for a scenic but less taxing treat:
• Riders will head out of Stellenbosch and over Polkadraai, where they will turn left on the flat and fast R102 towards Somerset West.
• Turning left again along Winery Road, cyclists will join the R44 and head back to Stellenbosch over some fairly large rolling hills.
“We are excited about collaborating with the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust to host a spectacular race,” says Jeffreys. “As organisers of the Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay Cycle Tour
they have an excellent track record and we are confident that their involvement will greatly contribute towards the success of Die Burger Fietstoer
Entries open on Friday, 6 July. For more information, please visit www.dieburgerfietstoer.co.za
or call 021 685 6551.