The Learning Theatre's secret key to productivity... having fun in the workplace!
As experts within the change management industry we are often faced with clients whose employees are unhappy, bored, anxious and frustrated within the workplace. Since we get to experience a company's culture from the outside we can quickly ascertain the reasons for their seeming distressed state. It is not surprising that oftentimes the reason for these feelings directly links to the individual's experience of the organisation. Why, you ask?
6 Aug 2012 10:24
Recently Alexander Forbes launched their new TV advert, wherein we see kids playing, having fun and dreaming of their future and what they want to become when they are grown up. The ad then fast forwards a couple of decades to show those children as adults, who somehow lost their ability to dream, most of them now unhappy, unsatisfied grown -ups.
The reason behind this campaign was to remind people not to lose their inner child and their ability to have fun. Which brings us to our heading above; The Learning Theatre's secret key to productivity...Having fun in the workplace. Studies show that the average adult only laughs 4% of the total percentage laughs per day as they did when they were children. What happened to the other 96%. It's pretty obvious it would seem, as we are all faced with pressures from work, family and society on a daily basis. Seeing that we spend most of our time at work it would be wise to say that we need to find ways of making this part of our day a lot more fun.
What would the benefits be to having a fun filled workplace?
Dr David Abramis at Cal State Long Beach has studied fun at work for years. According to his research people who have fun on the job are:
Not only will the above benefits benefit companies by lowering their turnover rates and up their productivity. From a costing perspective companies will save money in terms of the monetary implications of unproductive or ill employees.
How to create an environment of fun?
It's obvious that fun in the workplace should be appropriate and not harmful in any way. And yes it can be cost free. Here are some ideas:
These are only a few cost free ideas of how to instill a positive company culture! We are not saying that all employee challenges stem from the lack of fun, however we do believe that the benefits one can reap from implementing a fun filled environment is priceless. We can support this through our experience in helping our clients drive a positive change by bringing a bit of fun into their 9-5.
As Mark Twain rightly said - "The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. The moment it arises, all our hardness yield, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."
Comment guidelines and disclaimer
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This Message Board accepts no liability of legal consequences that arise from the Message Boards (e.g. defamation, slander, or other such crimes). All posted messages are the sole property of their respective authors. The maintainer does retain the right to remove any message posts for whatever reasons. People that post messages to this forum are not to libel/slander nor in any other way depict a company, entity, individual(s), or service in a false light; should they do so, the legal consequences are theirs alone. Bizcommunity.com will disclose authors' IP addresses to authorities if compelled to do so by a court of law.