"As the parliamentary committee charged with the oversight responsibility on GCIS and its entities; MDDA being one of them, it is only befitting to convey our best wishes to the outgoing CEO. Mr Mtimde's contribution to community media, be it television, radio or print, has been impeccable. The Portfolio Committee on Communications (PCC) has witnessed the sterling work executed under his stewardship while ensuring that the entity maintains a clean audit report in all the years during his term of office as the CEO," said Mr Eric Kholwane, Committee Chairperson.
Under Mr Mtimde's leadership, MDDA recorded notable milestones which include, among others:
- received a combination of unqualified and clean audits;
- awarded grants of over R272 million to approximately 567 projects, trained more than 2000 people and provided bursaries to different radio and print media;
- supported projects in each district municipality and in all nine provinces of the country;
- spearheaded the print media charter process;
- conducted programmes promoting media literacy and culture throughout the country; and
- supported the production of media in indigenous languages.
"Noting the above, we once again appreciate his good efforts, unmatched passion and commitment in ensuring the advancement of the community media agenda and ensuring that the MDDA delivers sustainable projects to our communities. The PCC conveys its good wishes to Mr Lumko Mtimde and wishes him everything of the best in his future endevaours... Ndlelantle!" said Mr Kholwane.