3S Media is a modern media company offering quality information to business communities through print publications and digital products. Founded in 1960 as Shorten Publications, it produces industry and business publications, newsletters and websites. The company has a 56-year history in the business.
There are currently 8 regular print titles, as well as special annual publications, in the print stable. Many of these are produced in partnership with professional institutes, whilst the annual publications are produced in partnership with large private and public sector companies and organisations. A number of the titles have been recognised for publishing and journalism excellence.
3S Media has four industry websites with weekly newsletters offering breaking news, in-depth analysis, upcoming events and latest industry developments. With a strong social media presence, 3S Media is entrenched in and engaged with its communities.
To provide the highest quality print and digital products that serve the information needs of our business communities and offer advertisers maximum exposure in their relevant target markets.
- IMIESA (Monthly) is the official magazine of the Institute of Municipal Engineering of Southern Africa (IMESA), focusing on infrastructure development, maintenance and service delivery. It is a monthly publication, with a combined November/December issue.
- Water&Sanitation Africa (Bi-monthly) is the official magazine of the Water Institute of Southern Africa (WISA), dealing with the preservation, treatment and provision of water. It is published every alternate month.
- ReSource (Quarterly) promotes integrated resources management, with a special focus on waste management and cleaner production. It is the official magazine of the Institute of Waste Management of Southern Africa (IWMSA) and is endorsed by 12 industry associations. It is a quarterly publication.
- Inside Mining (Monthly) carries topical features on mining and exploration in Africa and the rest of the world, focusing on the entire mining value chain. It is published monthly.
- Transport World Africa (Bi-monthly) covers complete transport and logistics management solutions and the movement of freight throughout Africa. It is endorsed by the Federation of East and Southern African Road Transport Associations (FESARTA) and is published every alternate month.
- Meetings (Bi-monthly) is a market leader in the business tourism sector. It investigates new trends, ideas and strategies relevant to the meetings and events industry.
- The Meeting and Event Planner (Annual) is a comprehensive and concise reference guide for the professional conference and event organiser and meeting planner, featuring venues and service providers.
- The Exhibition Planner (Annual) is a reference guide packed with essential information for exhibition stand organisers, and a communication platform for industry suppliers.
A newly launched division that produces annual niche publications on behalf of organisations and companies.
The types of publications produced include:
CPD on Demand
- Anniversary / Awards publications
- Conference Proceedings and Exhibition Brochures
- Annual reports, shareholder documents & other corporate publications.
CPD on Demand is an online Continuing Professional Development (CPD) solution. Each magazine has a related CPD on Demand program, designed specifically for their sector. By logging on, subscribers are able to attain CPD credits. They do this by completing online courses, consisting of videos and technical articles in the digimags (these are exact replica digital versions of the 3S Media magazines, and are available on any device). These articles and videos are validated for CPD accreditation by valid accreditation bodies per sector.
3S Media offers leading content marketing solutions to clients, delivering branded content to targeted audiences through a multi-platform approach. 3S Media utilises recognised and established print and digital products and skilled editorial teams to enhance clients' marketing messages and expand their brand reach.
- www.infrastructurene.ws is a leading news hub for infrastructure development and service delivery, with news, in-depth articles, company news and an events calendar.
- www.miningne.ws focuses on daily news, projects, services and equipment and job opportunities across Africa.
- www.transportworldafrica.co.za is a leading news and resource hub for the transport, logistics and freight industry. It also has in-depth articles, company news and an events calendar.
- www.theplanner.guru, or The Planner website is an online tool to assist event organisers to plan their events, enabling them to source venues and product and service providers for their meetings, conference, events and exhibitions.
Awards for publishing excellence
These awards were discontinues by the former Magazine Publishers Association after 2013.
- IMIESA won four PICA awards in 1999, 2001, 2005 and 2006. It also won two highly commended awards in 2001 and 2008. In 2011 and 2012 it won the PICA for Non-professional writer of the year. Also in 2012 it won a highly commended award in the construction and engineering category.
- ReSource won two PICA awards, in 2001 and 2004, and received a highly commended award in 2003.
- Transport World Africa won a highly commended award in 2004.
- Inside Mining won a PICA award for B2B cover of the year and was nominated for best trade and industry writer, both in 2010. In 2011 it was nominated for B2B cover of the year. In 2012 it won a highly commended award in the resource-based industry category.
- Water&Sanitation Africa was nominated for B2B editor of the year in 2010.
- 3S Media received recognition at the CESA Awards for Publisher of the Year: Trade Publications 2012
- 3S Media received recognition at the CESA Awards for Publishing Excellence: Trade Publication 2015
Awards for excellence in journalism
- Former managing editor Jaci Leitch won two consecutive Mondi awards for trade and technical journalism.
- Publisher Elizabeth Shorten won two consecutive Mondi Awards for articles in IMIESA and Transport World Africa. She also won the SAACE (now CESA) Excellence Award from the consulting engineering fraternity for Journalist of the Year.
3S Media departments
- Publisher/Managing Director
- Design & Layout
- Sales & Marketing
- Special Projects
3S Media also contracts an outsource sales agency to do advertising sales for a number of its brands.
In addition we have relationships with freelance contributors who write for our publications.
3S Media's expertise
- Conceptualization and origination of publications
- Publication project management
- Research and sourcing of information
- Writing and sub-editing of articles
- Managing freelance writers
- Sourcing photographs and images
- Layout and design
- Sourcing printing services
- Conceptualisation and development of websites and newsletters
- Writing content for and managing websites and their related newsletters
- Engaging our clients and readers through social media such as Facebook and Twitter
- Engaging in events
- Digital strategy and marketing for external clients
Go to www.3smedia.co.za to find out more.