|Get jobs on your |
Regional Managing Editor - Academic Journals
|Company:||Taylor & Francis|
Taylor & Francis Group, leading international journals publishing company, is looking for a proactive and motivated regional managing editor to join their publishing team in Cape Town.
As a managing editor, you will be responsible for the growth and development of an expanding African journals portfolio, across a variety of subject areas. This role includes a strong business development focus, and will require the building and maintaining of successful relationships with local academic editors, scholarly societies, co-publishers and other stakeholders, as well as acquisitions. This is a varied and demanding role that would suit candidates with account management, project management or business development experience. Experience in the journals publishing industry is an advantage, but not required.
Please note: This is not a development editing or production-related role, but rather one of effective portfolio management, relationship management and process improvement. No ‘copy’ level interaction with the content will be required (e.g. copy-editing or pre-press work).
- Proactively managing a portfolio of academic journals to ensure growth and development of each title in line with agreed revenue and profitability targets, and journal development objectives. Realizing opportunities for organic growth.
- Building and maintaining successful relationships with scholarly societies, academic editors, co-publishers and other stakeholders and acting as the primary point of contact.
- Effective account management, monitoring financial health of portfolios, reporting to partners, managing royalty and financial arrangements including payments and invoicing.
- Contract Management. Ensuring that existing publishing contracts are renewed and that new contracts are drafted accurately and are in line with company goals.
- Ensuring various reporting systems are kept up-to-date with latest information.
- Monitoring and reporting on costs, sales and sales patterns for products/lists/portfolios to inform future publishing strategies.
- Preparing external reports and presenting these at editorial board, society, and co-publisher meetings to report on journal development objectives and strategies for growth.
- Liaising with production colleagues to ensure publication to schedule.
- Effective communication with the rest of the team, both locally and internationally.
- Understanding the bigger picture and overall business strategy to ensure alignment with the journal department objectives.
- Representing Taylor & Francis at publishing workshops and industry events.
- Implementing new product launches and administering the set-up of new journals.
- Assessing proposals and preparing rationales and/or financial plans to evaluate new business opportunities.
- Meeting with academic editors and societies to understand needs and discuss partnership opportunities.
- Researching the local journal landscape to build up the Acquisitions pipeline.
- Proactive bid/proposal development under guidance of the publisher/editorial director.
- Representing Taylor & Francis at conferences and networking.
- Maintaining and increasing market awareness and analysing competitor activity to identify new business opportunities.
Candidates should be educated to graduate level or equivalent, with proven experience in relationship and/or portfolio management, and a willingness to work to a high standard, and with flexibility. The role demands energy, creative and strategic problem solving, sound commercial acumen, a commitment to meeting deadlines, and excellent verbal and written communication skills. It will suit someone who is highly organised, efficient, and interested in working proactively towards a set of broader objectives.
Excellent knowledge of MS Office is expected, including proficient Excel skills. Strong communication skills and numeracy skills are imperative, as is the ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Some travel to meetings and conferences will be required. An interest in academia and research is critical.
The position is based in Taylor & Francis’ Cape Town office, and reports to the Publisher and Editorial Director. All candidates are invited to apply; however, Taylor & Francis South Africa aligns its recruitment strategy with the South African Employment Equity Act no. 55 of 1998.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. The chosen candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible. Taylor & Francis reserves the right not to fill this position.
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter via the Taylor & Francis website by following the link below.
About Taylor & Francis
Taylor & Francis, incorporating the Routledge imprint, is one of the world's leading publishers of academic journals and books, and is the largest journal publisher in the social sciences. It is dedicated to the dissemination of scholarly information, drawing on expertise developed since first publishing learned journals in 1798. The company operates from a network of 20 global offices, including its headquarters in the UK and its African base in Cape Town.
Posted on 22 Oct 12:38