Subscribe to industry newsletters

Why as a Media Studies graduate i am not getting a job?

Dear reader
I have recently seen a post on 'bizcommunity' titled 'why is it so hard to find a job as a Media Studies graduate?".I unfortunately can not answer that mainly because i have been asking myself the same question for the past six months. I did a change of degree in 2008(I had first enrolled for BA In International Relations) and studied BA Media Studies at University of Venda. I completed the degree in record time (3 Years), failing one module which was an additional (a module i chose to add),passing 80% of my modules with more than 60% and having 3 distinctions in the process but yes believe it or not i am still unemployed. Before you start to think i am lazy, waiting for someone to hand me a job in a silver platter let me tell you that you are totally wrong. I have applied for around 10 internships, posted ads on bizcommunity and other websites, applied for 8 entry level vacancy, sent my CV to more than 20 recruitment agency ,hand-delivered my CV also to 5 recruitment agency and also send it to NYDA and Department Of Labour. The result of all this effort was one interview which i failed because they were looking for someone with experience and unfortunately i have none. I did not leave the interview room bitter or angry in fact i was pleased for the opportunity i was given; the opportunity to share my ideas, get interview lessons but above all i was happy that perhaps something may be coming up. I was wrong; I am still stuck here, doing the same routine i have been doing for the past six months which is buying Newspapers, always at the internet cafe, searching for recruitment agencies and the likes. It's hard getting a job to an extent where i wrote to the office of the presidency stating some ideas on how to increase Jobs for recent graduates and i haven't get a reply. My dreams of doing LLB next year will remain that, a dream. I had believe that armed with a BA Media Studies degree and LLB i will be well groomed for a managerial position, but its still a dream
Forum created by Meshack Nembudani
Get a daily news update via WhatsApp or sign up to our newsletters.
Comment
Dion Nicholas
Why don't you pool your resources and start your own company?
Posted on 7 Jul 2011 19:49
Dean Harty
Nice comment Dion, and true , if you guys are willing to work for free for now start setting up your own thing , all you need is one client, have a look at youll find all you need to start and run your business - if as Tuelo says you are not just looking for a job to all into...GL guys
Posted on 8 Jul 2011 08:41
Nembudani Thifhelimbilu
Dear Tuelo,Direction?i get what u mean but what u ought to know is that as a recent graduate you cant be too picky and in fact u can even do a job u dont like as long u qualified for it.Everyone has direction,they got something they really wanna do but at the end of the day one has to take any opportunity that arise mainly because u do not have experience and the jobs are scarce.I do have what i wanna do but if i do not get it now i have to do whatever i can in order to gain experience,keep the wolf out of the door and relise my dreams..@ Nono,the boat is sailing.And another thing is volunteering is easier said than done.Infact its even hard to volunteer @ Dion,firstly i do not have any resource to pull and the resources i had are the one i used to obtain my degree.One ought to know that starting a business aint easy,I have tried to do it but so much money is needed from opening a business account to registering a business etc.And one cant have a loan easily because you just dont have any asset as a security.@ dean thanx for the website i will check it out.Guys lets keep huslting,Its life.Meshack
Posted on 8 Jul 2011 12:06
Tafadzwa Alvin Matewa
@Meshack Nembudani the best you can do is utilise your abitlities, knowledge doesnt expire start your own stuff. As for me i am a marketing graduate and i am doing what i love most check out this blog beyondvitiligosa.blogspot.com get inspired follow me on twitter @alvintaffy
Posted on 14 Jul 2011 09:38
David Lewis
The best thing to do if you have absolutely no experience is to offer your services for gratis. At very least attempt to make yourself useful in some way. Pick up volunteer work, anything that gets the ball rolling. The opportunities should come you way if you stick it out.
Posted on 24 Oct 2011 17:35
Georgia Brand
Hello As a Recruiter and recent 'job hunter' I can tell you it is a numbers game but unfortunately in your industry the numbers are limited, meaning the opportunitie are few and far between and the economy limits those few opportunities... keep pumping out your cv, keep positive and keep at it! Good luck
Posted on 31 May 2012 16:34
Sheilan Clarke
No offence to you but I am so sick of that response. Everybody can't just start a business. We've got to keep the ball rolling. Understand? Everyone in their positions right now won't be there forever.Us graduates have to gain experience but no one is willing to offer that. Then, when there's a vacancy, they struggle with applicants not having the required experience. It just doesn't make any sense.
Posted on 11 Apr 2013 14:40
Debora Wondercheck
I think you need to keep updating your profile at whatever job portal you have registered with. And do also remain updating your knowledge base with the media news and update as it would help you to crack the interview when you have been called for it. Best of luck!
Posted on 19 Jan 2014 13:20
HaroldN Hulsey
A Mick Mouse degree, or a method to understanding the cultural significance of Mick Mouse? Media studies graduates typically realize themselves entangled in discussions like this, typically as a part of a full of life defense of their chosen degree.Having solely very come into being within the Nineteen Seventies, media studies remains in its infancy and is commonly discharged (ironically, within the media) as a alternative, however strive telling that to anyone WHO has grappled with semiotic or philosophical theory theory as a part of their degree.That said, course content will vary dramatically – therefore me theoretical et al additional business – so career choices will rely upon specifically what you watched. Whereas it appears ancient medium is also in decline, print media and/or production skills in area Unitas like radio and video are extremely valued by media organizations yearning for new ways in which to succeed in web audiences.I have some sensible work expertise with a and my words area unit clearly supported what I felt through such processes within the past.
Posted on 25 Nov 2015 11:27
PHINEM GRAPHIX
Hi, You can try my website https://cv.phinemgraphix.co.za we create professional resumes templates in Microsoft Word. Our templates are easy to edit if you know microsoft Word.
Posted on 9 Oct 2018 17:40

Related