Mobile comments

Fidel Tshivhasa
The truth hurts - why you didn't get the job
I know there are a few points in there that are probably true about me. But the problem is that even when I try to avoid some of them, I'll always strike out with one other or two because of nerves. Dang!
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 19:50
Marcio Quintal
Marcio Quintal
eNCA and eNews Prime Time get a distinct new look
Three logos in the space of three years.

CNN has had the same logo since 1980, and the BBC has had theirs since 1997.

If you want an iconic brand then you need to find a logo that will stand the test of time.
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 16:33
Uvu Diaz
There's no such thing as a 10-page website
I'm sorry but not every online business website needs hundreds of pages to be successful with regard to SEO. That's like saying the only point of contact for businesses is through their own website. Social media also helps to break down structures into digestible chunks for online consumption, and helps to create other platforms of exposure.

I agree with you that copy writing is important for effective SEO but I wouldn't go as far as saying designers and developers are not copywriters. There is no reason why a copywriter should be better equipped to produce website copy than that of a designer or developer. If you understand information architecture, and you use the necessary tools and processes to develop the right keywords SEO will be successful.

Information overload is a major concern in my opinion and can also lead to less exposure. I guarantee you that users do not want to be bombarded with unnecessary information, and I quote,"Your website is a [...] comprehensive company profile that tells people everything they need to know about you in one go - and clearly takes into account the fact that people don't read much and will mostly scan."

Websites need to be clear and to the point, particularly if you are a new comer within the industry. Start with something simple and build on it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not affording you the opportunity to start small and dream big, and will run your business into the ground with costs you might not be ready to incur. Development doesn't come cheap.

The statement below is extremely contradictory to the point of this article as well.

"If your website looks good to you and is easy to understand it will be successful. If it's messy and all over the place that's what people will remember."

A 50 to 300 page website will not look simple and will definitely display plenty of clutter, and will become expensive to produce. A website of this magnitude requires an extensive content management system which will increase the development cost of your website.

I honestly believe that a 1 to 10 page website is the best starting point to expand on because it will be affordable, easy to manage and there will always be room for growth, and you will be in a better position to see where real growth is needed at a time that is convenient for you and your business.

If you think that making a massive website is all you need to do to make your business successful then you can adopt the same opinion as this article and see where that takes you. In my opinion marketing is a full time job and should never sit squarely on the shoulders of web development, and SEO. Get out there and promote your brand in as many ways as possible. Don't rely on your website to be your saving grace, because it might end up being the spanner in the works, especially if you rush into a commitment you are not ready for.

There is nothing wrong with starting small when the option to grow is always available.
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 15:25
Lawrence Lackey
Lawrence Lackey
The most amazing pitch in history
Fantastic article!
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 15:15
Six years in jail for selling fake birth certificates
President Jacob Zuma walks free while Sanele Zungu, a former senior administration officer at the Melmoth Local Office of the Home Affairs department in KwaZulu-Natal get six years in jail for selling fake birth certificates.

What a justice system. What a Banana Republic.
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 15:09
Six years in jail for selling fake birth certificates

What a justice system. What a Banana Republic.
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 15:09
Public servants must 'serve' the public
Let the Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa set the example.
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 15:04
Spoonfeeder
Emotional branding - The love affair between consumers and brands
Hi Joseph,

You are 110% correct here...

However, you try telling Unilever, Tiger brands and P&G these things...

They will whip out a book that agencies are probably not even aware of called, "How to let your agency down nicely without destroying the creative process..."

Then they will back it up with a Millwood Brown stats and tell you a research group has decided what is relevant and creative...

Clients do not have an emotional connection with their brand, they have a functional one, because function determines bottom line in their minds...

Hubbabaloo in my mind...

If you have an emotional connection, it will sell...

But how many times have agencies lost that fight and watched their great ideas go down that client toilet...

"I know, let's spend cr@p loads of cash on an idea no one will connect with... It will make us millions..."

Foobar!!!
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 14:03
Just saying
Cape Argus to relaunch, revamped
"Ich bin ein Berliner"
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 13:27
Maluda Machado
Four things you need to know about brand guidelines
Thank-you for this insightful article. Exactly what I wish I could explain to clients! People forget that your genuine designers have studied extensively (most likely studying Fine Arts first) and are not just about plonking objects together! A great deal of thought, planning and experience goes into every colour, every font, every object, every line for every layout or design.
The general consensus is that if you have a pc you can be a designer!
If I wear a white coat and walk around a hospital with a clipboard and a stethascope - does that make me a doctor?
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 12:55
Marc Araujo
Marc Araujo
The most amazing pitch in history
This has inspired me, thanks Sid. Theatre of the heart - brilliant.
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 12:34
munashe mbavarira
The most amazing pitch in history
You could not have said it better! Great article. If only we could learn how to apply this in real situations we would win more and succeed.
Posted on 1 Sep 2014 08:35
Seriane Morapeli
Seriane Morapeli
Advertising industry must support local musicians
The recent Joy Cadbury ad is an example of this idea, the use of a similar named song by The Soil, made the ad clever. This was of benefit to both the brands. I know whenever I see Cadbury chocolate that song plays in my head.
Brilliant idea Bonnie, the only limitation is that it is likely to be a success if it uses popular and known artists. If not, it may air unnoticed
Posted on 30 Aug 2014 16:15
Seriane Morapeli
Seriane Morapeli
[NewsMaker:] Evans Manyonga
Look forward to picking up a copy. The brains behind creative business ideas will finally be made known and hopefully inspire us the readers. Hopeful about the price as well
Posted on 30 Aug 2014 14:22
Busisiwe Dhlamini
Emotional branding - The love affair between consumers and brands
Love this and completely agree. Maybe because I am a woman? :-) Funny enough, before I even got to bottom half of this article I already thought "Coca Cola does this", one of the reason I love that brand so much.
Posted on 29 Aug 2014 20:45
Busisiwe Dhlamini
What is your brand's social identity?
I'm a social media manager and I completely agree with this article. This is one of the reasons I love social media so much, it has introduced a new aspect of branding that I believe is so much more enjoyable for the organisation, and believable for the consumer. It encourages brands to communicate to the public like they are PEOPLE and not just CONSUMERS. This can only lead to a better understanding between the two. Great article.
Posted on 29 Aug 2014 20:37
Virgin activist
South Africa's Best Liked Ads
I see the errata have been sorted out now...
Posted on 29 Aug 2014 17:30
Local SEO: How to boost your social listening
Reputation management is extremely important to businesses nowadays considering how easy it is to share a positive or negative experiences with thousands of people with just a click of a mouse. It's crucial that businesses pay attention and listen to what people are saying about them. Businesses can't make everyone happy, but what they can do is monitor and address the problem. Their customers need to know they're being heard, but pick your battles wisely. Sometimes comments can be irrelevant or a personal attack rather than a genuine review. Don't underestimate the power of quick real-time responses. Consumers are very impatient and the quicker a business responds, the quicker they can amends with a bad situation.
Posted on 29 Aug 2014 16:16
James Carlos
James Carlos
SABS to ensure PVC pipes are heavy metal free
PVC pipes are one of the best inventions which replace the use of metal pipes. According to an article PVC pipes are friendly to our environment, long lasting and easy to install as compared to metal pipes. For more click here.
Posted on 29 Aug 2014 14:02
Double Whammy
South Africa's Best Liked Ads
Also should be country's (singular) not countries? A double whammy copy mistake?
Posted on 29 Aug 2014 13:16