Exhibitions comments

Janet Madaka
Well written article
Posted on 1 Aug 2014 10:38
Peter Moolenschot
From broadcaster to coffee shop - the new role of the digital publisher
I could not agree more. One way to make readers love your site is by (I firmly believe) publishing by Editions. This allows you to recommend something you serendipitously encountered while 'browsing' through your favourite site to your friends and know they will see what you saw in the same context. And if the same ads are presented to your friend as you originally saw, won't the advertiser be happy?
Posted on 1 Aug 2014 09:24
Bruce McNabb
How social media is destroying our society
That post was not a personal attack, it was based on the content of this article.

The article mentions about how people make Facebook posts expressing their opinions in the hopes of getting likes. How is that different from posting an article on Bizcommunity hoping that people would respond positively. Isn't that essentially the same thing apart from the fact that Facebook are people you may know as opposed to a more public forum such as this.

I am not intending to attack anyone personally, I just think that social media isn't the demon people say it is. I have not seen anyone or even heard of anyone who has negatively been impacted by social media and therefore do not see the harm.

I have, however, seen people benefit enormously by gaining self worth, reclusive people have their voices heard when they are too shy in the physical world, people have made livings and businesses and real world success through social media.

To weigh up the pro's and con's it would be a landslide.

I was able to re-connect with 2nd cousins who I have never met from Australia over facebook and they flew over to visit. Thanks to Facebook.

Social networking will never go away so long as people feel the need to communicate efficiently and quickly with people. Deleting your FB account is the adult equivalent of running away from home I feel.

That's my opinion and I would put that opinion on my facebook page because an opinion is an opinion and an audience is an audience.
Posted on 1 Aug 2014 08:06
John MN
Business of Design seminar launches in October 2014
Thanks for nice inform about that. This will be great chance to learn about marketing, media, accountancy. I tend to change my marketing strategy for http://www.proweb365.com . Hope to be there on time!
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 18:44
theresa du preez
How social media is destroying our society
Well said - feel exactly the same!

T
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 17:23
Chemory Gunko
How social media is destroying our society
I'm actually in agreement with you there - you only have to try and cancel some accounts to find out how desperately some of the big companies want to hang onto you and your data.

Currently in the process of trying to get hold of Google to sort out a client problem. Give that a go - it's actually damn near impossible to find a way to contact them. And you should see the palava to cancel a Google+ page.

I'm not scared of data and databases, but that has been an eye opening experience that has really made me think twice.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 16:36
Clive Smith
How social media is destroying our society
Well written and well said Chemory. I think that the evils of social media are fast outweighing the benefits. After all, for the FBs of this world, it is ONLY about data mining.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 16:19
Chemory Gunko
How social media is destroying our society
Thanks Bronwen :) I'm learning to be less afraid to use my voice, so the positive feedback is greatly appreciated :)
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 16:12
Chemory Gunko
How social media is destroying our society
Like you're entitled to your opinion Bruce, I'm entitled to mine. No one's stopping you.

However how much are you watching what is happening in society?

My ability is to note trends and patterns, it's just a knack that's developed over the years and I've been involved in a number of social media platforms; this isn't just based on Facebook.

I'm the first to acknowledge the value of Facebook; I mention in the article that I retain my Facebook presence because of the mastermind group I belong to. I understand fully that there is value.

However I'm also saying that there are huge negative impacts that are carrying through to our everyday lives, and they're skewing the way people conduct their lives.

Why does that make my opinion nonsense? Why the need to attack on a personal level? Why not just argue the points that you disagree with?
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 16:03
Chemory Gunko
How social media is destroying our society
Yes you do see that a lot I agree.... my partner lives in Aruba and we're in a long distance relationship (hopefully not for much longer!!!), so I've even been guilty of that, so I have empathy for mitigating circumstances, but I do try and limit that to when it doesn't impact other peoples' time.

Did you watch the Guardian piece I linked to? In the lust section, the lady interviewed couldn't make it through the interview without stopping to tweet and reply to tweets. Likewise she's given up on relationships and live-in boyfriends, because her relationships interfere in her twitter time.

It's like the youngsters who all get together at a party and then sit around Facebooking and Tweeting the whole time - those are the extremes that get to me.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:56
Bruce McNabb
How social media is destroying our society
I disagree on all levels.

My friends and family have not been negatively impacted by social media. It hasn't stumped me or anyone I know socially.

If anything I have made better friends with acquaintances that I now physically see and am friends with.

Yes Facebook provides a soap-box to express opinions, then how different is it to Bizcommunity save that you have the option of anonymity here.

So if anything, I would prefer comment from FB because at least people back their opinions.

7 sins of social media, what nonsense.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:54
Donnette Davis
Soweto Marathon to Just Do It
Absolutely fantastic news! 2013 was a devastating blow for many thousands of athletes... let's #Makeithappen... Big up to Nike...
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:53
Bronwen Del Paggio
How social media is destroying our society
Thank you. Writing is not my talent, but it certainly is yours. well said and very true.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:53
Chemory Gunko
How social media is destroying our society
I totally agree with you Alexander - everything evolves and changes our lives. And as I say in the second to last paragraph:

"Social media has maybe been an eye opener and built a global village, but its time in the guise that we've known it is coming to an end."

I agree it's changing, it's guise is changing. It won't leave, but like the Internet has always evolved, the role of social media is changing.

Nothing gets left behind and social media has become too interwoven into our lives to leave completely, but it's going to change.

The article however is about how it's affecting and impacting us as a society and the kinds of societal problems that it creates.

That's what we want to strike a conversation about - because when we talk about that we can help it evolve into something useful.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:50
Shantaram
How social media is destroying our society
At a dinner party last week a guest left the table and disappeared Whats Apping for half an hour. We finished our meal and dessert and eventually her boyfriend had to retrieve her out of the bathroom. Unforgiveable discourtesy to her hosts........!!!! She was unabashed!
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:49
Chemory Gunko
How social media is destroying our society
Thanks Viv :) Appreciated :)
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:43
Alexander Gaillard
How social media is destroying our society
As with virtually anything in the world there is always going to be a dark side to it. Yes it may create certain societal problems but I still think there a number of benefits that social media creates for cultures, subcultures and even old friends to connect. I don't think the answer is to completely neglect the medium but rather to find your own place within it. The ability to connect with people I haven't seen in years has helped me out many times and if it weren't for social media those people would probably have been lost to me. So many times I've heard my parents say "I wonder where [such and such a person] is". I may not ever talk to these people but I find it interesting to see the paths that people take through life, I'm not doing it to compare myself to them but really just for my own interest. Similar comments about social media could be said about cell phones. Should we throw those away? Or TV? Or the media? And what about the calendar? Or 24 hour time? You could argue that they're controlling our lives just as much as social media.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:23
Alexander Gaillard
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:21
Richard Gee
Medupi plant to be ready in December
Thanks.

Just experienced my 15th power failure in Pretoria over the past 12 months. Experienced 1 power failure in Cape Town in 38 years.
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:12
viv quann
How social media is destroying our society
I have yet to find an article written by you that I didn't like! Saying it like it is! Love it!
Posted on 31 Jul 2014 14:58