Magazines comments

Alex Desire
Sun Silk ''Brazilian'' Ad
Why no video anymore?
Posted on 10 Jul 2014 00:43
Tebogo Mashiane
SABC viewers displeased with old content, repeats, news bias
They've been calling me saying that I owe them money for the TV license and I don't EVENT WATCH SABC.
Posted on 9 Jul 2014 16:59
Timothy Solomon
Five ways to get the right project management tool for your business
So.. no list of some software that fits the bill? what do you use?
Posted on 9 Jul 2014 16:14
Mike du Toit
Why do wine brands think they don't need a positioning/proposition?
Hi Rolf,

I am a trademark attorney and wine lover so I find your comments interesting from a brand point of view. I am torn between two views on the topic. On the one hand I take short cuts to get to the really great wines by reading Platters or Good taste magazine or attending tastings and then going purely on what works for my palate. In this instance the safe bet is to go for the good ratings. On the other hand, when I am out buying wine I am influenced by the appearance on the bottles of Veritas stickers, Michelangelo Awards, Platter stars etc or I buy the wines I know and like.Unfortunately, in both instances, the brand or sub-brands or pay-off lines play little or no role in my decision making process. I agree that the discerning wine drinker is less brand conscious or not at all. Life is too short to drink bad wine! I for one would not buy Graca because it is a talking, eating, drinking, laughing, singing, sharing wine. Having said all of that and putting on my trademark practitioner's cap, the modern day labels such as Porseleinberg or Secateurs from the Swartland or Saronsberg's Provenance labels excites me because they are so distinctive from a brand point of view compared to the old fashioned labels such as the old generation Nederburg labels or Simonsig's labels produced in terms of the previous labelling requirements.However, that does not mean that I would ignore a good Alto Rouge in favour of some new funky labelled blend on the market.
Having attended last year's Swartland Revolution wine tasting week-end and booked for this year's, I believe the new, young and upcoming wine makers epitomized by the Swartland winemakers, are the wine entrepreneurs of today. Take the Mullineux Winery as an example. They received the Platters winery of the year award for 2014 with the most 5 star wines in Platters of any winery. The husband and wife team is fairly young and their labels are relatively bland for such a modern winery but their wines are exquisite. They hardly need any introduction and nothing speak better than their track record. In their case a 5 star Platter sticker on a bland label sells far more wine than a swing tag or neck tag or pay-off line. The other wine makers of this region are all young, very young for that matter but they have all produced award winning wines despite the relative short period in the business and despite not having the benefit of selling their wines on the back of an existing and established brand, for example Nederburg vs Mullineux. I think, despite the importance of brands,unless you have a great product in the wine industry, you will soon be found out if all the marketing cliches such as " best vintage ever" or " dry and refeshing" or "cool coastal breezes" or "hand picked or "lingering aftertaste" turns out to be just that, cliches.
Mike du Toit
Posted on 9 Jul 2014 14:47
Paul Oosthuizen
SABC viewers displeased with old content, repeats, news bias
I agree with Richard Gee. I'll take my lead from the SABC. SABC please apply my payment for last year to this year as well so we are now both on the "repeat" program level!!!
Posted on 9 Jul 2014 14:30
Richard Gee
SABC viewers displeased with old content, repeats, news bias
I don't think the public truly cares about leadership issues at the SABC. What people want is good, current, entertainment - and non-biased news reporting. Most of what SABC broadcast is ancient and their news is just ANC propaganda.
Another factor is that the majority of content is aimed at an audience least likely to pay for a TV licence.
Posted on 9 Jul 2014 13:44
Gatvol
SABC viewers displeased with old content, repeats, news bias
That's why I dont pay my TV licence. At least not until there's something decent and relatively new to watch. Tired of the ANC elite's crap!
Posted on 9 Jul 2014 11:36
Paul Taylor
Not even on social media can, or should, a brand be a friend
Kind of disagree with this point of view. It sounds suspiciously like "stick to what you have always done".

KLM have won thousands of fans for showing brands can be more human. And of course that includes making mistakes.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 19:34
prince jackson
Funded learning opportunities in media for the unemployed
i will love to work and present my new idea about media interface
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 17:59
john sanei
How to avoid the public speaking willies
Great article - great reminders - thank you
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 16:45
jefma
Government to act on 'dysfunctional SABC'
Independent contractors working for SABC are often faced with the nightmare of incompetent management. Very few have the know how or qualification to be efficient in the post they are holding. It is a downward spiral that can only be remedied by appointing knowledgeable people in key positions. The National Broadcaster should have top people in charge to present the image of South Africa to the world.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 16:28
munya maketo
Medical aid reforms needed now, say experts
Hi Professor

Is there a framework which govern processes in Medical Aids or Scheme and the hospital sector. When one is doing a system is there a complete business architecture landscape which has the best practice processes and standards.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 15:51
Anon Anon
New paper hits PE streets
We'll wait and see how impartial this publication could possibly be. Mr Duba should be made aware that he might find himself out of favour with the governing party --- and out of the party too -- if the reporting does not toe the party line.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 15:28
Richard Gee
New paper hits PE streets
and who paid for it? and how much Government/Provincial advertising does it carry?
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 15:14
Richard Gee
Medicine advertising and the ASA
in the interests of full disclosure Saul you should state whether you represent (or don't represent) any medical company currently in dispute with the ASA.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 15:10
Pieter Gerber
SARS wants to catch tax dodgers
Amazing how hard public servants can work at collecting their salaries and their spending money (tenderpreneurship).

Imagine this country if we have the same effort in service delivery and project completion. Please public servants, remember that we pay your salaries through our taxes i.e. income tax, company tax, fuel levies, toll fees, VAT, sin tax etc.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 14:57
Pieter Gerber
SARS wants to catch tax dodgers
Pieter Gerber

Funny how government employees can put so much effort into collecting money for their salaries through the tax system, but cannot deliver the services they are paid for through these taxes.

Public servants, we pay your salaries, so give us decent service and deliver on the projects we pay for without inflating the costs through fraud and tenderpreneurship!!
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 14:44
SARS wants to catch tax dodgers
SARS must start with Jacob Zuma and family.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 14:01
john sanei
Flux Trends presents Blurred Lines - latest trend report
looking forward to this - always refreshing
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 13:18
Gail Schimmel
Medicine advertising and the ASA
I want to clarify where I stand on the points quoted in the article:

I do not believe that the ASA had no mandate or authority with respect to Appendix A and F. When I was at the ASA I in fact sat in meetings with MCC representatives about these appendices; and worked on numerous files in which the MCC provided opinions on the application of those appendices.

The "little secret" I referred to was the failure to announce the cancellation of these appendices - which had huge import for the industry and was not, to my knowledge, made public.

The concern about this being a symptom of the illness in the ASA relates to the failure to communicate with the industry. My concern is about the divorce between the ASA and the industry, and the lack of involvement and ownership both ways.

In relation to this issue, I am somewhat surprised by the MCC's attitude of no-knowledge when I am well aware that they knew of the ASA's activities and condoned same.
Posted on 8 Jul 2014 11:38