Radio comments

Jake M
Snake oil or genius?
Can I mention the elephant in the room? Its a very, very large elephant but it never seems to get a mention.
Here is where we are at after nearly 4 decades of the standard low-fat dietary guidelines:-

So who are really "brainwashed"? The people whose only response to the above appalling public health outcomes is "more of the same".
Or the people who sensibly recognise failure and look for solutions that might actually achieve results.

This lecture gives a good overview on how we got to this ridiculous place :-

Posted on 26 Nov 2014 23:26
Nigel Fox
Nigel Fox
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
As usual, Tiffany has got to the non-furry, overgrowth-removed, neatly trimmed truth of the matter. I'm not familiar with her waxing procedures, but I have witnessed her ruthless analysis of communications that fudge the essence of the brand. Bandwagon hijacking, concept borrowing, audience deceiving, lazy thinking, they all reveal the bankruptcy of the creative input. Good on yer, Tiffs, I hope the people who want to communicate hear your pleas for some stand up, stand alone, stand proud originality.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 19:21
Arthur Charles Van Wyk
Arthur Charles Van Wyk
[TrendTalk] Is social media all hype?
In 2012 I was involved in a rather sad panel at Digital Edge Live(I was asked to argue against the very thing I make a living from) and every single point regarding social media was really a point about Facebook. The same held true for every question that was asked. Too many people think "facebook" when they think "social media". It's a curse.

Secondly, we the early adopters and practitioners have adopted this thing we call "digital marketing" when in fact it has always just been marketing with digital as another platform/channel/medium (like OOH and print media). Digital just offered better marketing track-and-measurability. So it's still just marketing. Using digital tools.

On the social media front, I recorded a little video (http://youtu.be/grvtpAYdpws) not so long ago that speaks to this obsession with Facebook and Twitter. Social media should not be a one or two channel thing. If you want to use social media optimally for marketing, you should firstly have a strategy and secondly use multiple platforms - not just Facebook and Twitter.

Lastly. I can affirm that social media is a marketing channel that works. In 2013 we worked with a certain British TV channel sponsored motoring show and sold 3 times more tickets than the brief required us to - using FB, Twitter and BBM. And a large portion of those tickets were sold to speed freaks and illegal dragsters - a market that's almost impenetrable via conventional marketing tools.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 16:00
Tiffany Markman
Tiffany Markman
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
Thanks for the reply, Jacques. Don't worry. No offence taken. Neither at what you said, nor at Sorbet's billboard. I applaud agile, cheeky, bold advertising. And I dislike preciousness, verkramptheid and thin skin. BUT the execution of this idea was weak, and that's what annoyed me. Plus, I didn't like the copy. I guess I'm precious like that ;) Ciao.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 14:57
Jacques van den Bergh
Jacques van den Bergh
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
Tiffany, I take your point. Yes Sorbet should not have gone off-tone, they should not have used if, they should not have used FNB's property to market themselves BUT give Sorbet a break. They took a chance. They tried to give us some Nandos-type magic. They were being fun. When did we all become so thin-skinned and easily offended? Everything is analysed to death, and every marketing or PR mistake earns a relentless public hiding that is often disproportionate to the crime. I think it kills the spirit. And please, I am not having a dig at you. My comment is just the opinion of another pizza and pina colada lover about how we (myself included) beat others down to market our own services.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 14:49
Kevin Bassett
Kevin Bassett
Communication lessons from The Steve & Nancy Saga: A Sorbet Story
Hey Tiff,
Thanks for explaining that one ... when I read it I didn't have a clue what was going on so I just drove on confused and ignored the whole message.
Marketers have also got to realise that when I am driving past a billboard at 60kmh I don't have time to decipher a message. KISS.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 14:41
bobby shabangu
bobby shabangu
Our industry needs a "Hellopeter"
But tell me Rolf, does Hello Peter have teeth? I think in order to trigger a speedy and effective response from companies you need to act like that guy who made a banner and placed it on a busy road.
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 12:14
deborah philip
Benefits of using web design templates
First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks. Singapore VPN Service
Posted on 26 Nov 2014 09:51
Desiray Viney
Desiray Viney
Is CSI a farce or impactful?
I agree! Some corporates just don't have a real understanding of CSI - it's 'I' for investment not gifts! Real social issues like Health, Education, Skills development, Job creation and Citizenship all need investment for the long-term benefit of our society. We Corporate Communication specialists an assist you - that's what we do!
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 17:10
Musa Maswanganyi
Musa Maswanganyi
Email newsletters: Keep customers informed to get repeat business
Completely agree Dries. So many firms simply ignore this very simple yet powerful communication (and essentially, relationship) tool. With he silly season upon us, there's ample opportunity to stay within your client's mind, without the horrid awkward Christmas Eve call that may be a bit too invasive (no matter how good your intentions are). Timing is key, and since the Post Office is on a sabbatical, emails are an obvious choice.

- Musa "Shaunspeare" Maswanganyi.
Creative Director, Mustic Designs.
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 15:54
donna
Cloud's not just about hosting
Data security is definately a concern. We backup with a local online backup service: www.soteriabackup.co.za
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 12:37
gavin de Kock
Why not to ignore your personal brand
A very good article !
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 12:29
Right said Fred
Transport department pledges not to bar Emirates from SA skies
What they mean is, someone - without any knowledge of how the industry works - decided to act tough - until it was pointed out to them, perhaps by people in the UAE, that halting flights works both ways and SAA is not in a position of any great strength right now.
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 10:30
Grim times, grievances at Gupta TV venture
The Gupta's have Jacob Zuma in their pocket but Jacob Zuma has the Gupta's money in his pocket.
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 08:33
Richard Barry
Richard Barry
What Jeremy Sampson's going to do after leaving Interbrand
All the best Jeremy and thanks to you and Blake for my first true branding identity job in South Africa
Posted on 25 Nov 2014 00:27
E
Snake oil or genius?
It is quite sweeping & inflammatory to claim that all people who 'bant' are "brainwashed". How did you arrive at this decisive conclusion? Quote from your article: "So what is it that has literally brainwashed people into converting to this LCHF religion?”. Personally, I can only speak for the people I myself have encountered as regards the subject matter, and thus far I have not met an individual who has blindly 'banted' without question, opinion, assessment &/or customization (maybe I am lucky or maybe people who ‘bant’ are generally not mindless fanatics). I must add I am open to any and all fair research done around the topic. And, after any such education I will continue make my own, quiet, non-accusatory decisions about the matter.

As for the “LCHF religion” reference…it comes off as disapproving and is a trivialisation of religion. I would not classify a lifestyle choice/philosophy regarding what a person chooses to eat and drink (or not) as "brainwashed people converting to an LCHF religion" – judgmental some? Perhaps a more constructive question to ask is WHY do people buy into "LCHF/Banting", and/or whether or not their reason/s is/are sensible, practical &/or sustainable.
Posted on 24 Nov 2014 16:57
Igor Kovaliov
Igor Kovaliov
Managing risk: Why email archiving is critical
guys, if you need a solution to backup your Email, Contacts, Calendars or other folders, SafePSTBAckup is a software to try. it will create Microsoft Outlook PST backup email archive automatically.
Posted on 24 Nov 2014 16:41
Magomarele Thobejane
Magomarele Thobejane
Grim times, grievances at Gupta TV venture
It's owned by the Guptas, who have Zuma in their pockets, what do you expect? I won't work for such people.
Posted on 24 Nov 2014 14:34