Digital comments

Seriane Morapeli
Seriane Morapeli
Hungry Lion's integrated campaign roars with success
Increased my top of mind awareness about Hungry Lion. A strategic campaign, that not only increased previously minimal knowledge about the brand but did so in a creatively engaging manner. Well done Hungry Lion
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 23:27
Seriane Morapeli
Seriane Morapeli
Millennials Rising: The Next Generation
Good article Candace. Millenials are the future leaders, thus it is well-stated that businesses ought to recognise that collaborating and co-creating with them will prove beneficial to grow their businesses, and the country in entirety. With an increased percentage of this generation in South Africa, the possibilies are endless
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 23:17
Seriane Morapeli
Seriane Morapeli
Can magazines survive?
Magazines are dead. Easy and convenient access to online content that is free, in contrast to paid for magazines is one of the drivers. Also, overly sensationalized magazine content means reading a headline allows one to decipher the article. Negatively affecting purchase decisions
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 21:41
Seriane Morapeli
Seriane Morapeli
Can magazines survive?
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 21:30
Anon123
Unilever sells ice cream to eskimos
What does this have to do with "eskimos"? I am not sure if you are aware, but that is also considered an incredible negative and racialized term...
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 16:16
Stephen Sandmann
Stephen Sandmann
Social media optimisation - what you need to know
Hi Dalton,

Thanks very much.

Thanks for the interesting feedback - I always enjoy a good discussion.

I will give you an example of why a person would leave a brand’s social media platform and go to the brand’s website: A person is browsing Facebook, they click on a brand's promoted post, visit the brand's Facebook page, then leave a brand's Facebook page to get product information and even book a test drive on the relevant brand’s website. This is one of the qualities which make websites great - comprehensive product information and other functionalities. It is also convenient to manage conversions in one location - namely the website.

It is not just about great, original content any more - the user experience plays a crucial role in today's SEO. I will give you 2 basic examples: 1) Many people browse the internet and websites with mobile phones as well as desktop devices, therefore Google recommends a responsive website design. 2) People love social media so Google attaches user-related value to social media/website metrics. It is easy to see how in terms of online behaviour - social media provides a useful popularity gauge.
I agree, social media is not relevant for every company. On a case-by-case basis - I would definitely recommend looking into the respective target market's online behaviour, perform a SWOT Analysis etc. Content strategy and SEO are symbiotic. Paid search and paid social are fantastic digital marketing disciplines and can be very effective.

Regards,
Steve
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 15:59
dalton stephens
dalton stephens
Social media optimisation - what you need to know
Nice one Stephen.
Social media (as in any media strategy) would differ in effectiveness according to the brands equity. But one commonality is that Social media is designed for people to be social. I don’t leave my social media page to visit a website. That would be like looking at the pretty woman walking past while in mid conversation with my best mate.

But I suppose if you are already on a brands social page your digital behaviour would adapt to the “social content” being offered by that brand.

I get the mighty Google social ranking and hell any strengthening of a brands content will boost SEO. But surely we should be asking what our target audience use social media for. If the brand can engage on a social level with thier target audience, great. If not the brand has no place spending money on social media and should dedicate more spend to SEO or SEM, better still content strategy. If I want to engage with a fire place distributor I’ll do a search and spend time with their original (or not so original) content.
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 15:01
dalton stephens
dalton stephens
Are we on the same planet?
Welcome home Harry. It’s good to see you pen such interesting view points.
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 14:25
Solly MOENG
Solly MOENG
SA must put pressure on Swaziland to open society
It's not going to happen; South Africa will never put any kind of pressure on any government on the continent to urge them to be democratic. That would not be African brotherly conduct!
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 13:09
Warren Cowley
Warren Cowley
SA slow to adopt online shopping, with logistics a problem
Well where there are problems, there's opportunity
Posted on 22 Aug 2014 11:50
Kevin D. Jones
Kevin D. Jones
Using video on internal communication
Completely agree. I started creating videos to explain some of the concepts I consult about, because people were not catching on to the idea as quickly as I had hoped. I made a few videos for different circumstances and now all I do is show the 4ish minute video and they get it.

Since then I have had companies ask me to make videos for them because the value is so high. They are easy to distribute internally and are invaluable as a teaching or evangelizing aid.
Posted on 21 Aug 2014 17:53
Andre de Wet
Andre de Wet
Sanral rejects Cape Town's bid to halt toll roads
''He claimed unemployed local residents were strongly in favour of the Wild Coast project, which they believed would create jobs.'' - In what fantasy world does this idiot live. The money is not being collected by the unemployed and highways make less cars stop locally. Or they going to build the roads? Oh wait - they're already built. #fool.

'user-pays principle was the only way to make a dent in SA's road maintenance backlog' - No sir, you doing your job will do this. The roads are already paid for and those funds are why we pay tax on fuel. #fool
Posted on 21 Aug 2014 16:09
H. J. Buell
H. J. Buell
There's no such thing as a 10-page website
Very well said.

"Any half-decent copywriter will easily be able to split your company up into 30 pages of specific search results... if your web development company cannot do the menu, SEO and copy for you, you're wasting your money, because your website is never going to work the way you want it to."
Posted on 21 Aug 2014 14:17
Stuart Magooze
Stuart Magooze
There's no such thing as a 10-page website
Insightful article. It all depends on what you want to achieve with your website. A 5 page website will not add any real value to your business. In this day and age, a website is there to generate leads, to grow your business. It is not a once off cost. Once you have a website and to get sales leads, people need to find your site, and that is where content marketing, search engine optimisation and pay per click marketing becomes extremely important. These critical seo elements will get your website ranking effectively in search engines.
Posted on 21 Aug 2014 14:17
Thabiso Dlamini
Thabiso Dlamini
South African PR practitioners can learn a lot from international PR professionals
Thank you for the response my brother. I conducted my PR in-service training in a government hospital a year ago and part of my duties included contributing towards the hospital's newsletter which would see me taking pictures and drafting articles. I believe in best practice so quite often I go online and look at what the big guys are doing out there. I would also log onto the department's intranet to see what other hospitals were doing and I tell you my brother it was disastrous, I believe my newsletter was the second best and only one guy who was an exceptional PRO from the most rural part of the province beat me so I looked up to him in certain aspects. I fell inlove with PR at the age of 15 where I told myself I would one day become a PRO so I was shocked when I spoke to some in the field who informed me they only got into PR because they had a problem with another course so having realized that they could have some modules accredited in PR they jumped ship. Some people told me they got into PR having realized there was space in PR intake. Brother I commend people like you because your passion is exactly what we need in order for companies to deem PR and communication as an essential department within the organization. PR is ever changing and upon obtaining your qualification you will realize that what you got to learn in tertiary is the basis as there is a wealth of information that we will learn from organizations such as PR News, PR Newswire, Daily PR, communication thought leaders from developed countries and our very own in South Africa as well. I am also in the process of learning and trust me with a lot of the things I have done I bench marked from companies and PR execs from oversees especially when I was a social media intern. I welcome your contribution because I believe our industry requires us to contribute through articles and these comments as well. We are not only about political leadership as we were taught but we need to be industry leaders as well.
Posted on 21 Aug 2014 12:37
dakalo ramabulana
dakalo ramabulana
Advertising industry must support local musicians
I just read the first three paragraphs of your article and I truthfully understand and stand with the point you are making. In addition to what you are saying; I have noticed in South Africa that most of the people who watch advertisements do not really understand the true message that the brand is trying to convey unless they are academically qualified with advertising or branding. Consequently, what it takes is to have something that people love and know about, and in South Africa it would be music because we love our own music as it is diverse
Posted on 21 Aug 2014 08:57
Catholic
A tax of 20% mooted for sugary drinks
pathetic!!!! what about job losses?
what about freedom of choice?

educate consumers - but at the end of the day it's their right to choose if they want to die because of sugar!
Posted on 21 Aug 2014 07:40
Daleen Totten
Daleen Totten
Bored to death: The quest to produce meaningful media
I just had to come back to read this article again. definitely struck a few cords. Fantastic job!
Posted on 20 Aug 2014 21:34
Global Press Release
Film industry set to increase SA tourism

This has already done a lot of damage to the SA film industry and many producers have tagged SA as unreliable and with unacceptable bureaucracy for film industry personnel.
Posted on 20 Aug 2014 19:02
Dena Wainman
Dena Wainman
Forbes Africa named top magazine amongst Africa's richest
Love this magazine SOOOO much :)
Posted on 20 Aug 2014 17:19