Internet comments

Jason Xenopoulos
The selfie
Thanks so much for your response, Fezile.

Have you read "The Circle" by Dave Eggers? It is a novel that explores some of the issues you have raised - the line between public and private, the notion of openness and sharing and at what point it is all just too much.

I really enjoyed it (-:
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 14:59
Jason Xenopoulos
The selfie
Lol! Yes, I am standing in a bathroom.

Funny story: I was stuck in an all day conference in Istanbul when I was asked to take a Selfie to accompany this article. I had literally no time, and I had to find somewhere suitable to take it inside the building. I decided that a photo of me taking a photo of me would be suitably self-reflective, so I went in search of a mirror. No prizes for guessing where I found one (-:
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 14:59
Gerhard Bouwer
Actually, Hlaudi is the right man for the job...
And that unfortunately is the whole and absolute truth &
Preaching to the choir does not help.Even those who know the difference between their wallets and integrity are blinded by their own twisted sense of reconstituting injustices of the past.
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 14:38
Pay with a Tweet
Pay for what you eat with a tweet
Hey guys, we are Pay with a Tweet (www.paywithatweet.com). We saw your website and obviously think its a great concept! Maybe we can do something together! Best, Anna
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 12:31
Riaan Kriel
DigiChat with Andrea: Mobile Advertising & Marketing
Top article, really enjoyed this one Andrea! I guess when you get the best of breed together, and you get to ask them the questions you did, as a marketing and sales guy you have to sit up and take note of what was said, I know I did!!
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 11:29
peter lawton
Actually, Hlaudi is the right man for the job...
I don't know whether Chris is 'tongue-in-cheek' on this. Whilst at face value this seems the case in this story, never-the-less, his analysis is one hundred percent plausible given the reality of our ex-democracy.
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 11:12
Karyn Romero
The selfie
Great article! and good comment too - Are we questioning the importance of placing relevant context to your chosen moment to share that selfie -is it key in creating the perception of being acceptably appropriate? or is it the intimacy we are purposefully challenging - and on the lighter side it does look like you are standing in the bathroom...? I hope you washed your hands first! :)
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 10:45
Marion Scher
Quality over quantity
But sadly, it's not people like you (a really good writer) who understand this.... Tx for the kind words.
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 10:41
Quality over quantity
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 10:41
Claire Mason
Quality over quantity
Superb piece Marion. Engagement only happens when the content provides value. There's far more to the "content is king" adage than filling word counts.
Posted on 24 Jul 2014 10:30
Brand School
DigiChat with Andrea: Mobile Advertising & Marketing
Another great article Andrea
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 22:38
Makate loses 'Please Call Me' case against Vodacom
Did the white man steal the black man's "please call me"idea.
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 17:25
AbaThembu King wants Mthatha land
It is smash and grab time for land by black leaders. What a greedy lot.
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 17:18
Marisol Gutierrez
Commonwealth Games to unite all for children via UNICEF partnership
Thank you, Let's Play and SuperSport, for supporting this unique partnership for the benefit of children. Much appreciated by all of us at UNICEF South Africa.
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 17:07
Pierre van der Hoven
Tuluntulu now has ten channels
To test download the "Tuluntulu" app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Feedback appreciated. www.tuluntulu.com
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 16:52
Alan Morrissey
DigiChat with Andrea: Mobile Advertising & Marketing
Just to add to this, Effective Measure does measure mobile usage in SA, it makes up 44% of all traffic which equates to a Unique Audience (NOT Unique Browsers) of around 6,2 million 'people' of which 69% accessed the web via WiFi, iBurst, 3G, Edge, LTE or GPRS. 12.76% via WAP. So we have over 4.2 million accessing the web 'proper' via their mobile device....
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 16:35
Fezile Nomzamo Phungwayo
The selfie
First and formost I like your profile picture Jason how topical it made me smile !

you are indeed tapping into the deeper meaning of why we feel the compelling need to take selfies in almost all spheres of our lives , whats problematic with this phenomena is that we no longer know when to draw the line between public and private ,we have become completely indecisive on which content is ok to share on the public domain and which should remain strictly private we no longer decide all we do is capture and post exactly in that order .

This became evident when I witnessed a pregnant couple posting every single picture of the sonar on every single social media , poor child if only he or she that the parents already took a selfie of him or her before he or she was even born.

But then again it is an area we living in that perpetuates this kind of behavior . Like Jason has mentioned above we are living in an era of instant gratification, narcissism, and attention deficit , a generation thats obsessed with getting multiple "likes " and "retweets"

I guess I cant frown too much upon taking selfies, because I too take them , infact a week cannot go by without taking a selfie. Selfies are fun , spontaneous , most importantly we take them to capture beautiful, intimate , delicate moments firstly with ourselves and then family and friends but in essence all i am advocating is know when to draw the line between shareable and non sharable content.

what an insightful article Jason it truly refreshed my day and compelled me to put in my two cents worth

what a way to end my day , thanks bru

Reg
FezileNomzamo
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 16:10
Martin and Martin Pet care products
Dogs can get their love and Epol
Hi there. For clarification purposes, the recently re-launched Epol dog food brand mentioned in the above brand news is owned by leading pet care products manufacturer Martin & Martin, which is based in Isando, Johannesburg and not in Pretoria.
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 14:24
Nico Esterhuizen
Potential for retail growth in Africa
ID Technologies Africa has many offices globally with South Africa being our African Head Office (with a supporting branch in Kenya too). In Africa alone we are successfully supporting +- 620 Retail system users within more than 120 retail outlets. The retail brands we proudly represent are the likes of Levi, Lasenza, Accessorize, Baby City, Toy Zone, Woolworths (Africa), Monzoon Children, INGLOT cosmetics, etc.

We would like to be part of the rapid growth in the Fashion Retail industry.

Please email me for me information as we seek partners and clients. nico@za.infodynamic.net
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 13:51
Stuart Magooze
DigiChat with Andrea: Mobile Advertising & Marketing
The growth of the mobile market makes it vital to have a responsive website. Responsive websites adapt to screen size. For example on a laptop screen the website is slightly different to when someone is viewing the website via a smart phone.
Responsive website make it much easy for navigation, user experience and improves conversion rates.
Have a look at our responsive websiteand adjust your browser size to see how the site responded to screen size.
Posted on 23 Jul 2014 11:14