Transparency International and the hosts of the 15th International Anti-Corruption Conference (15th IACC) invite young journalists working in the sub-Saharan Africa region to be part of the anti-corruption conference to be held in Brasilia, Brazil from 7-10 November 2012.
Two young journalists will be selected and will work together with a group of young journalists from America, under the guidance of Transparency International's Social Media Unit to report on the conference sessions through various social media and new media channels including the IACC blog, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
The selected journalists will also have the opportunity to submit stories to their own news outlets, write monthly blogs/articles for the IACC website and have a chance to engage with Transparency International's national chapters in their respective countries.Criteria
How to apply
- Someone not over 35 years old.
- A working journalist or blogger of any nationality with at least one year of work experience. You should also be currently based in one of the following countries: Ghana, Liberia, Niger, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Burundi, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Benin, Burkina Faso, Guinea Conakry, Malawi, Mali, Nigeria, South Africa, South Sudan and Tanzania.
Transparency International are looking for photojournalists; video broadcast journalists, print/online journalists and tech-savvy journalists with experience working across different platforms.
- A professional command of English. However young journalists will also be encouraged to write in Portuguese and/or French
- Journalists with an interest in creating change and fighting corruption, who are keen to learn more about Transparency International, the IACC Series and the issues they work on.
- Write a short essay (250-300 words) in English, French or Portuguese on why you want to join our social media unit and what you can do to contribute to our social media unit from now until the 15th IACC, as well as during the conference.
- Send links/samples of prior work in the form of articles, photos, and blogs on topics related to what will be discussed at the conference.
- Include a resume/CV in English with references.
- Deadline for applications close Monday, 27 August 2012
If you're chosen, you will be invited to report on the 15th IACC in Brasilia, Brazil. You'll receive a pre-conference training session with Transparency International, a round-trip economy travel ticket to Brasilia, refund for any visa costs, accommodation for five nights, airport transfers, meals and the opportunity to learn more about corruption at a global scale and meet key players in the field. You will however be responsible for your own travel insurance.
For more, go to www.15iacc.org