JOHANNESBURG / LAGOS: MTV base today, 6 June 2011, launches its new mini-documentary series, Touching Base. The series aims to present a new generation of "Afro-cool" in African urban culture. The documentary series aims to highlight talented young individuals from Africa.
Taking the form of two-minute documentaries, Touching Base shines a light on Africa's new wave of creative entrepreneurs in the fields of photography, fashion, illustration, art, filmmaking, music and more.
Shot on location in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa, Touching Base follows some of Africa's young entrepreneurs including:
- Clarence Peters - One of the most recognised music video makers in Nigeria and a filmmaker, Clarence studied film in South Africa for two years before returning to Nigeria.
- Cyrus Kabiru - The Kenyan artist behind C-Stunners, glasses-cum-artworks made from recycled materials.
- Bolaji - After attending film school in Los Angeles, Bolaji returned to Lagos to get involved with the Nollywood film industry. Focusing on Nigerian stories, Bolaji recently finished production on his first short film - a supernatural thriller called "Nkiru", shot on an island just off the Lagos coastline.
- Jimmy Chuchu - Renaissance man Jimmy Chuchu taught himself graphic design, went into advertising, borrowed money from his brother to buy a camera and then became a photographer. At the same time, Chuchu and two friends from college started Kenyan electro-pop outfit, "Just a Band" and got themselves signed to an American label. Chuchu subsequently moved into motion picture and now creates all the band's music videos together with one of the band's other members.
- Bayo - This Nigerian fashion designer originally designed under the label Onyx and Pearl but is currently launching a movement/label in Lagos called the Orange Movement.
- Jahawi - a Kenyan DJ who's pioneering the growing electronic dance music scene in Nairobi. Aside from DJ-ing at home and abroad he plays guitar and piano, is a producer and sound engineer who has released singles worldwide.
Touching Base premieres on MTV Base between 6.25pm CAT and 6.30pm CAT today, Monday, 6 June.