This week, we go behind the selfie with Mo Matli, junior director at Fort Network.
Matli, in self-direction mode.
1. Where do you live, work and play?
I live in Maboneng, work at Fort and play at the gym, and anywhere else my camera and myself find ourselves.
2. What’s your claim to fame?
Besides being one of the #100YoungMandelas of the future, my claim to fame is being able to inspire others, especially my peers, through my photography.
I tell stories that we were taught are not worthy of telling about ourselves. I am a young social activist.
3. Describe your career so far?
My career so far is an exciting journey. I just got into the advertising industry as a junior director. I work with very talented people and am learning a lot from each one.
4. Tell us a few of your favourite things?
My camera, my phone, my plants and my jazz collection.
5. What do you love about your industry?
I love our ability to tell stories that represent others, and our power as storytellers.
6. Describe your average workday, if such a thing exists?
Such a thing does not exist, each day brings its own tasks. You just have to keep up!
7. What are the tools of your trade?
My tools of the trade are my camera, my laptop and my phone’s notepad.
8. Who is getting it right in your industry?
Every agency giving young creatives an opportunity to make a mark in the industry, by hiring them and upskilling them.
9. List a few pain points the industry can improve on?
The use of traditional standards of beauty in mainstream media.
10. What are you working on right now?
I am working on my body, haha. I am working on a short film about domestic violence within the LGBTQI+ community.
11. Tell us some of the buzzwords floating around in your industry at the moment, and some of the catchphrases you utter yourself?
Buzzwords: authentic, content, creative and WeTransfer, lol! One of my favourite phrases has to be "aesthetics, bro".
12. Where and when do you have your best ideas?
I have my best ideas walking down Johannesburg central and just seeing all the different people.
I also get ideas in my apartment, listening to my music.
13. What’s your secret talent/party trick?
I asked my mom and she said I have a strong character, especially in finding ways to motivate myself and others, in any situation.
14. Are you a technophobe or a technophile?
I am both but trying to be more of a technophobe, less attached to technology.
15. What would we find if we scrolled through your phone?
You would find a lot of pictures of anything and anyone, a lot of tabs open in my browser and my notes and texts.
16.What advice would you give to newbies hoping to crack into the industry?
The things you say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to play a huge role in the future you want for yourself. Strive for the right decisions to open doors for you, and never stop working hard.
Simple as that. Follow Matli on Twitter, her two Instagram accounts: Mo Matli and Mo Matli Visuals, as well as Facebook, Behance and Wordpress. You can also click here for more on Fort Network and follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. *Interviewed by Leigh Andrews.