The Mobile Marketing Association (MMA)
, the leading global trade association for the mobile industry, today announced that Daniel Bonner, Global Chief Creative Officer of Razorfish will serve as the jury
chair for the 10th annual Smarties Awards program. A recognised creative mover and innovator, Bonner will lead a formidable jury of over 20 agency and brand leaders who are all committed to inspiring the advancement of mobile marketing.
Celebrating its 10th year, the Global Smarties honors those stakeholders who are leveraging the power of mobile as the ultimate storytelling platform pushing the boundaries with innovation and measurable results. This year, regional Smarties Awards have also been launched in EMEA, LATAM and North America as well as country awards in South Africa, Turkey and the UK. Judging around the world including the Global Smarties, which takes place in New York, will happen on 18 August.
"I am tremendously excited to see how brands and agencies are transforming audience connections and innovating with mobile devices, platforms, campaigns and enabled products," said Bonner. "The Smarties Global Awards is a great opportunity to see first hand what is now possible with mobile, my focus as jury chair will be to help identify those campaigns that are breakthrough in creativity and effectiveness, delivering a brand experience that is both meaningful, useful and addresses real business challenges."
"We are honored to have Daniel bring his incredible experience, insight and creative gravitas in leading this wonderful group of jurors as they identify groundbreaking work across the myriad of mobile marketing categories in the Smarties," said Sheryl Daija, Chief Strategy Officer of the MMA. "Now in its 10th year, the winners of the coveted Smarties have become a north star for mobile marketing, guiding and inspiring other brands and their agencies to transform their strategies and campaigns by placing mobile at the core.
Joining Daniel Bonner as 2014 Smarties judges are:
- Donald Chestnut, Chief Experience Officer, SapientNitro
- Renato de Paula, Chief Executive Officer, Havas Worldwide Mexico
- Pedro Del Priore, Chief Executive Officer, Agency Ginga
- Mark Egan, Chief Strategy Officer, Maxus Global
- George Felix, Mobile Marketing Strategy & Innovation, Procter and Gamble
- Karie Ford, Vice President, Marketing Services, Subway
- John Gagne, Executive Creative Director, Proximity BBDO
- Elyssa Gray, Director of Creative & Media, NA Consumer Marketing Division, Citibank
- Trisha Habucke, Digital Marketing Manager, Ford
- Jason Levine, Vice President, Marketing Services, Mondelez
- Bethany Mach, Senior Vice President, Global Digital Director, Starcom MediaVest Group
- Christopher Miller, Divisional Vice President, Global Brand Strategy and Innovation, Abbott
- Brandon Rhoten, Vice President Digital, Wendy's
- Shiv Singh, Senior Vice President, Global Brand & Marketing Transformation, Visa
- Virginia Suliman, Vice President, Digital Design & Development, Hilton
- Tina Unterlaender, Director Mobile, Senior Account Director, Global Innovations, AKQA
- Rachel Weiss, Vice President, Digital Innovation, Content & New Ventures, L Oréal
- Ivan Wicksteed, Global Chief Marketing Officer, Old Navy
- David Womack, Executive Creative Director, Mobile & Social Platforms, R/GA
- Tatyana Zlotsky, VP, Digital Marketing, American Express
The Smarties play a foundational role in the Mobile Interactive Creative Framework
platform launched by MMA last month at the Cannes International Festival of Creativity. The benchmarks that comprise the Framework were developed from in-depth analysis of 450 global mobile campaigns including the past winners of the MMA's Smarties Global Mobile Awards Program.
2014 marks the third year the Smarties' Award categories have expanded to reflect the growth and innovation of the mobile ecosystem.
New competitive categories this year include:
- Wearables: The medium is the product and the product is mobile. The Smarties will recognise innovations that brands are bringing to market through new products and services embedded in wearables.
- Cross-screen advertising: The Smarties will look at campaigns designed to create meaningful consumer connections across all-sized screens.
- Native advertising: The Smarties will recognise mobile marketing campaigns designed and executed specifically for the mobile web or mobile apps.
The finalists and winners will be honored at the Global Smarties Gala, which culminates the leading SM2 Mobile Innovation Summit during Advertising Week on 1 October at the Highline Stages in New York.
The other 2014 categories for entries submission are defined under Marketing Strategy, Channel/Media Strategy and Enabling Technologies. For a complete list of submission categories visit: http://www.mmaglobal.com/events/the-smarties/2014/categories
Last year's Smarties Awards included many of the pre-eminent brands around the world including Abercrombie & Fitch, Coca-Cola, Colgate Palmolive, Dreamworks, Discovery Networks, ESPN, Ford Motor Company, Greenpeace, Halls, Intel, Johnson & Johnson, Levis, Mercedes Benz, Mondelez International, Nestle, Nike, Ruby Tuesday, Samsung, Sam's Club, Showtime Networks, TIM, Toyota, Unilever and many more.
Due to its clever and creative use of mobile, Leo Burnett and Arc Worldwide were awarded the coveted "Best in Show" for their campaign, "Will and George Come to Life," which was the perfect demonstration of how mobile invites and involves consumers to live within the brand story.
About the Mobile Marketing Association (MMA)
The MMA is the world's leading global non-profit trade mobile marketing association comprised of more than 800 member companies, from nearly fifty countries around the world. Our members hail from every faction of the mobile marketing ecosystem including brand marketers, agencies, mobile technology platforms, media companies, operators and others. The MMA's mission is to accelerate the transformation and innovation of marketing through mobile, driving business growth with closer and stronger consumer engagement. Anchoring the MMA's mission are four core pillars; to cultivate inspiration by driving the innovation for the chief marketing officer; to build the mobile marketing capabilities for the marketing organisations through fostering know- how and confidence; to champion the effectiveness and impact of mobile through research providing tangible ROI measurement; and advocacy. Additionally MMA industry-wide committees work collaboratively to develop and advocate global best practices and lead standards development.
Mobile marketing is broadly defined as including advertising, apps, messaging, mCommerce and CRM on all mobile devices including smart phones and tablets. Members include, American Express, AdChina, Colgate - Palmolive, Dunkin' Brands, Facebook, Google, Group M, Hewlett Packard, Hilton Worldwide, Kellogg Co., L'Oreal, MasterCard, McDonalds, Microsoft, Mondelez International, Inc. Pandora Media, Procter & Gamble, R/GA, The Coca-Cola Company, The Weather Company, Unilever, Visa, Vodafone, Walmart, xAd, Zenith Optimedia and many more. The MMA's global headquarters are located in New York with regional operations in Europe/Middle East/Africa (EMEA), Latin American (LATAM) and Asia Pacific (APAC). For more information about the MMA please visit www.mmaglobal.com