The app focuses on breaking news, multi-media visuals, user generated content (especially on voting day), mechanisms to check whether you're registered, registration and voting information, daily polls, party information and ongoing opinion and in depth analysis. The app will also offer the live results map that News24 had huge success with during recent elections (including a previous results overlay showing results in comparison with the live streams for 2014).
"The news around a national election changes minute by minute. News24 focuses on breaking news but with this election we wanted to take it one step further and offer a dedicated application to voting savvy users which would ensure that this momentous election was covered in as much detail and as effectively as possible," says Jannie Momberg, News24's editor-in-chief.
Some of the highlights of the app include:
- Breaking news and commentary with live updates.
- Multimedia galleries with user generated videos, News24Live interviews and timelines.
- Daily features including topics like who to watch, what to watch, where to watch.
- On-going opinion and analysis.
- Basic election know-how: Party 101, registering 101, voting 101, candidates, results summaries and election histories.
- Timelines, multimedia, features and profiles.
- On-going user generated content including articles, photos and videos, and a 'contributions by map' view on election day.
The app is currently available to download for free across Android
News24 will also be offering extensive election coverage through their dedicated election pages at http://www.news24.com/ElectionsAbout 24.com
24.com is a leading African network of popular digital publishing brands and online services across internet, mobile, applications, e-commerce and interactive TV. Centered on News24, 24.com is dedicated to creating and sustaining uniquely African online and mobile communities. As South Africa's largest digital publishing house, the network welcomes over 6 million local Unique Browsers monthly.