#CannesLions2017: "Africa is the birthplace of creativity" - Melanie Campbell
Melanie Campbell, head of marketing at Pernod Ricard SA.
Her influence has touched iconic brands including Heineken, Guinness, Johnnie Walker and Absolut, where her track record for growth and market share gains is evident as she’s focused on “delivering best-in-class strategic business plans, coupled with ground-breaking creativity that delivers tangible business results.”
This was recently highlighted at Cannes Lions, where the Absolut One Source campaign took home a Gold Lion for Lions Entertainment as well as two Silver Lions in Lions Entertainment and Lions Music for Entertainment, with a Bronze Lion for Lions Media rounding out the campaign’s roaring global success.
The 64th annual Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity came to an end on 24 June 2017, rounding out a full week of award shows that celebrated creativity across various categories. Here's how SA fared overall
24 Jun 2017
Here, Campbell talk us through the campaign’s specific touchpoints with consumers, as well as the role of trust and mutual respect in making any collaborative work a success…
The brief was to deliver a communications strategy for Absolut vodka, which:
- Continues to build on the previous year’s campaign, which affirmed Absolut’s war cry in standing for African creative originality.
- Continues and evolves the role of Khuli Chana as the personification of someone who is Absolut and adding value to his life beyond monetary exchange.
- Communicates Absolut’s One Source intrinsic in a relevant and compelling way.
- Entrenches Absolut’s role in popular culture.
I knew the moment Native VML presented the communications strategy that this would deliver on the brief, was fresh and on brand with what Absolut has always stood for and that it would resonate with consumers transforming Absolut’s commercial success.
What I did not know was that the scale of the commercial transformation would be five times what we anticipated and that this work would play a significant role in influencing the global strategy for Absolut. Nor did I even consider the potential to be recognised on a global stage at Cannes!
Absolutely everything around this project involved collaboration as well as trust and mutual respect because without the latter, collaboration is nothing more than a hook-up or a transactional exchange.
SA's craft and production industry proved itself at the annual Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity. Here, Sunu Gonera of Egg Films shares his views from behind the scenes...
Leigh Andrews 6 Jul 2017
This manifested on many levels:
- Trusting and respecting Khuli, Sunu and Native around a table to make brand business decisions and them trusting brand to input and shape their creativity.
- Trusting in the team to go to Ghana to shoot a documentary and record the lead song with no script, manifesting in the music video being shot before the song was even written!
- We are incredibly fortunate to work with the smartest, most creative, talented but yet humble individuals in the industry – that’s when magic happens.
About Leigh AndrewsLeigh Andrews (@leigh_andrews) is Editor-in-Chief: Marketing & Media at Bizcommunity.com and one of our Lifestyle contributors. She is the only SA finalist shortlisted for the Women in Marketing #WIMawards2017, and can be reached at .
At Vogue Communications Agency