The GOP website just couldn't keep up with the traffic its latest blog post demanded.
US President Donald Trump’s “highly anticipated” list of the 2017 news stories that had the media bashing him at every turn, is now live
He’s calling it the 2017 Fake News Awards. And it’s one for the bookmarks.
“2017 was a year of unrelenting bias, unfair news coverage, and even downright fake news. Studies have shown that over 90% of the media’s coverage of President Trump is negative,” the post begins.
The piece then lists the “winners” of the 2017 Fake News Awards, among which is CNN which Meryl-Streeps its way to four awards.
ABC News, the New York Times, Time Magazine
and the Washington Post
all feature prominently too. But we’ll get into that a little later.
For now, let’s look at the social impact the blog has had thus far.
Published around 3AM SAST Thursday morning, Trump’s tweet carrying the link has already amassed more than 30,000 comments, 28,000 retweets and more than 70,000 likes.
#FakeNewsAwards was also trending on Twitter, from the United States, to South Africa, to Australia and the UK. Many in the United States were supportive of Trump’s move, calling it defiant and a “refusal to be politically correct”.
Others just couldn’t stay away from the jokes.
Google is also seeing rising search traffic worldwide for “Fake News Awards” and related searches.
CNN is seemingly an inadvertent beneficiary of the Awards, seeing a marked rise in search queries for the outlet.
While the disdain and praise Trump’s receiving on Twitter is only just beginning, this probably isn’t the last we’re going to hear of the Fake News Awards.
We’re just disappointed that a gala dinner wasn’t held.
And without further ado, here are Donald Trump’s Fake News Awards winners for 2017, as appears on the GOP blog post:1. The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claimed on the day of President Trump’s historic, landslide victory that the economy would never recover.
2. ABC News’ Brian Ross CHOKES and sends markets in a downward spiral with false report.
3. CNN FALSELY reported that candidate Donald Trump and his son Donald J. Trump, Jr. had access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks.
4. TIME FALSELY reported that President Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office.
5. Washington Post FALSELY reported the President’s massive sold-out rally in Pensacola, Florida was empty. Dishonest reporter showed picture of empty arena HOURS before crowd started pouring in.
6. CNN FALSELY edited a video to make it appear President Trump defiantly overfed fish during a visit with the Japanese prime minister. Japanese prime minister actually led the way with the feeding.
7. CNN FALSELY reported about Anthony Scaramucci’s meeting with a Russian, but retracted it due to a “significant breakdown in process.”
8. Newsweek FALSELY reported that Polish First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda did not shake President Trump’s hand.
9. CNN FALSELY reported that former FBI Director James Comey would dispute President Trump’s claim that he was told he is not under investigation.
10. The New York Times FALSELY claimed on the front page that the Trump administration had hidden a climate report.
11. And last, but not least: “RUSSIA COLLUSION!” Russian collusion is perhaps the greatest hoax perpetrated on the American people. THERE IS NO COLLUSION!